Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i want to deliver in qe where to register

daffer is offline Registered User
    I am due to give birth in Feb 08 at one of the gov's hospitals....finger-cross ;(

I know people slag-off the NHS all the time, but is it worst than the NHS in the UK?

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by daffer View Post
    I am due to give birth in Feb 08 at one of the gov's hospitals....finger-cross ;(

I know people slag-off the NHS all the time, but is it worst than the NHS in the UK?
    Friends who have delivered at both say HK's public hospitals are way better than the NHS.

carang is offline Registered User
    i have NEVER heard of that before. i HAVE heard them tell people to go home as they've not progressed far enough along...

i've only ever dealt with QMH for maternity issues, so i can't say what other hospitals are like.

i do know that you cannot "book" yourself in, as you would with a private hospital. that maybe different if you go to a public hospital as a private patient, though, i'm not sure.

bbvv is offline Registered User
    I registered at QE Saturday just gone for March delivery.

Hi peainpod, last year when I delivered at QE I was only 1cm dilated - contractions were 5mins apart, no bloody show nor water broken - I was in so much pain too but they kept me on and I delivered after 1.5 hrs - just imagine if I was turned away, I would probably have had the baby at home. Surely if your friend was booked (I assumed she registered quite a while ago with records in her name) they should not turn her away - I would have complained to the Hospital Authority about this.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Maybe "booked" is the wrong word. She told me this story when I visited her at Canossa post-birth, so maybe I didn't get all the facts right. I do know that she was all prepared to give birth at QE and after being turned away there, she ended up at the Canossa - but only thanks to the help of her family OB friend.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Talked to my friend to get the story straight and here is the updated version. She WASN'T turned away b/c the QE was full, she was turned away b/c she wasn't dilated enough and they wouldn't induce her but just told her to come back later. But the pains were really bad and so she couldn't bear to wait any longer, hence the last-minute change to Canossa where they did induce her and she gave birth a few hours later.

From what I've read and heard, I think public hospitals are good if you have a "regular" delivery. But if your labour doesn't proceed along certain lines (i.e. either waters broken or pains w/o sufficient dilation) then you may be in for a more frustrating time, since there is only so much they are willing to do for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12