Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What to feed my 6 month old?

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

What to feed my 6 month old?

She's been on solids for about a month now, but does not really like any of the jarred/boxed stuff we've given her. She will eat it, but you can tell that she doesn't enjoy it. I've given her bits of rice, mashed banana, teeny tiny bits of apple, etc, and she very much prefers "real" food over "baby" food. She does have her two front bottom teeth already.

I'm just wondering if it's ok to give her all food from the table (fish, veggies, rice, chicken, oatmeal, fruits, yogurt etc...) and do away with the baby food?

(Yes, I know to only introduce new things every 3-4 days).
    All the best,
    Katie

carang is offline Registered User
    there's no reason why you can't... but you need to puree it at least somewhat. she's still learning how to chew and it will be a few months yet before you can give her lumpy things...(are you cooking the apple?)

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I would say yes- we started off very cautiously with what we introduced to our son in the form of solid food, but as he also devoured everything we gave him, now at 11 months, he eats what we do (Minus the salt).

We introduced rice, vegetables, chicken and fish at 6 months- at this age you will still have to puree everything, and then after a month or so, just mash things....although it all depends on the baby...some get the chewing thing a lot quicker than others.

I think as long as you and baby's father come from families with no food allergies, then baby should be ok.

Some people, for example, don't add any seasonings to baby's food until well after their first baby- but our little one has been eatng food seasoned with everything (bar salt) since he was ten months.

carang is offline Registered User
    we still have to puree for the 8 month old, she jsut doesn't get the chewing and has started to choke on things that are a little lumpier. my first though, "got" chewing very quickly and had no problem at all with a few lumps....

good luck! and have fun!

jamesandsimo is offline Registered User
    a good book is the Doctors table by Lauren Bramley, it has great receipe ideas and sample menus for each age group, tells you the best time to introduce different foods.