Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

British Airways Bassinets

KatBoo is offline Registered User

British Airways Bassinets

I've just returned from UK with my 4-month old twins and thought you may be interested to know that BA are phasing out the flat 'cot' style bassinets in favour of the the not flat 'car seat' types (both get securely strapped to the bassinet shelf).

On my way to the UK, they only had one of the cot-style ones available so one of my 4-month old twins had to use the car-type ones. I would have preferred her to be flat really becuase I was concerned about her back for 12 hours in the other type, but they assured me that they had been well tested.

I would guess that they are phasing out the flat ones because they are restrictive to fairly small babies, whereas the other ones are not because there is no restrictions to length/height.

She did actually sleep in it quite well in it (better than I thought she would), but I would still have preferred her to be flat being so young.

Not sure what the other airlines do, but as is usual within the airline industry, once one does something the others seem to follow.

Kat

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi- have yet to fly on an airline that has the car seat bassinet...would be interesting to try them. Definetly handy if travelling with an older baby that doesn't fit in bassinet.

Am sure as an infrequent thing, no need to worry too much about baby's back.

Sumei is offline Registered User
    hi Katboo,

thanks so much for the update - these little titbit of information (which are so crucial and helpful) are great to know - that is what I love about geobaby.com!

daffer is offline Registered User
    Hi I am due to book an infant ticket for a trip to England soon, by the time that we are travelling, my baby will be around 6 months old. I am just wondering if you or anyone would recommend any airlines who are particularly good at providing that sort of services? Or if there's one that we should avoid? Thanks.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    well I've travelled with BA and Cathay with little ones, and they've both been good.

I don't think Cathay do the seats, so if you think your baby wont fit into one of the sky-cots, I'd choose BA.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Just flew Oasis. They have the flat cot-style bassinet with a weight restriction of 14kg. My toddler slept in it just fine with her legs hanging over the edge! She plain refused to sit in the seat we'd got for her!
    All in all, I'd say Oasis & Cathay are on a par in terms of the care they offer for parents travelling with babies. Oasis don't offer nappies, although Cathay do. But, that's about all.

shahirakk is offline Registered User
    be interested to hear more about oasis. Has anyone upgraded to Oasis business with babies/toddlers? It could actually be an affordable option I guess???
    Shahira KK