Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

POLLUTION IN HK- Have you had enough??!!

elephantine is offline Registered User
    Bekyboo, thanks for drafting a great letter. There were just a few typos - will PM you these.

I actually liked the part of the letter suggesting the various steps the HK government can take to improve the situation. It's useful because they so often just blame the factories in China and try to absolve themselves of their own responsibilities.

Agree with spockey that a good way to execute this would be to upload the letter onto a online site for us to sign. Two possible options are www.petitiononline.com and www.ipetitions.com. Once a final version is ready, it would be good if someone could translate the letter into Chinese so that both versions could be posted online - this would help get a lot more mothers in HK to sign it.

An example is http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sodbhk/ (a petition on a different issue, but a good approach and format I thought).

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    bekyboo44. great job with the letter. I'm not sure about cutting out the suggestions for action....although i can see where aussiegal is coming from. i guess, personally I am always one who likes to propose solutions when you are discussing a problem especially when we can point out some pretty simple things that can be done. it makes the idea of a class action lawsuit pretty powerful (although I have to admit I can't add any knowledge in this area)

in the UK you can petition the prime minister online.
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/
    you can both create and sign petitions on this website giving you the opportunity to reach a potentially wider audience

does anyone know of a way we can do a similar thing here in the UK? it would make the gathering of signatures much easier.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    elephantine you are one step ahead of me

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback! Am so glad letter went down so well! Let me go through any typos, and get a final draft together, and then I can post as a petition online! Once I have done that I will post the website for the petition on this website, but please feel free to pass the website onto other friends!

Aussiegal I like you idea about the lawsuit- anyone know where to start with that?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Anyone willing to translate letter into Chinese?

jill lewis is offline Registered User

Pollution isn't good for anybody

The pollution in Hong Kong is terrible, as it is in many places, and we should all worry about it and do what we can to improve the situation. Simply saying that if one doesn't like it they should move home is ridiculous. This is about thinking globally and cleaning up our current corner of the world; no matter where your original home is, how long you've been here or how long you intend to stay. People who come here "for the money" and move home when they're tired of the pollution is the kind of selfish and short-sighted behavior that causes these kinds of problems. I say we do whatever we can, wherever we are to make the world a cleaner, safer place. Be a good citizen. If Hong Kong is a place to make more money - then vote with your dollar and do what you can to press for pollution controls. Don't just be a parasite in this lovely city and pack it up when you've had your fill. Leave it a better place than you found it.

mommy sara is offline Registered User
    I know you already posted the petition online, is it too late to suggest that we say "parents of Hong Kong" instead of "mothers"? That would allow for more signatures and give more weight to our case.

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    Hubby is not a HK registered attorney but I did casually ask him how a class action would work and he said that sort of thing doesn't really exist in HK. He didn't elaborate but I didn't press him because he's fleece me for posting whatever he said on a website. :) I think it would be better to ask someone locally registered anyway to get the real scoop.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234