Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

POLLUTION IN HK- Have you had enough??!!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

POLLUTION IN HK- Have you had enough??!!

Hi,

Some of the members on geobaby.com have decided that we can't merely sit by as Hong Kong's pollution worsens. As Mothers, Mothers to be etc. we are all deeply concerned about the worsening pollution and the effect it may/is having on the health and lives of our families!

If it's ok (Rani?) I'd like to use this post to collect YOUR views on the pollution, how do you feel about it?

- How does the air pollution in HK compare to the air quality in your home country?
    - Is leaving Hong Kong an option for you because of the pollution?
    - Do you worry about the pollution and its effect on your child's health, and as a result are there days when you just don't take your child/children outside?
    - Has the air quality in Hong Kong aggravated any condition your child may have, e.g. asthma?

We'd like you collect YOUR thoughts with the ultimate goal of forming them into an open letter to the following- Donald Tsang, SCMP, Standard etc.

We could sign it, 'Mothers of Hong Kong, and then follow it with our signatures (obviously the more the better)!

I know we all feel powerless at times, especially when it comes to such a huge political issue as air pollution, but I think it's time we at least had our voices heard! It's time we stopped talking and took action. The more we talk, the more will join us, and the louder our voices will become, eventually someone will have to stop and listen to us!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    We want to hear from, LOCAL Mothers, EXPAT Mothers....anyone living in Hong Kong!

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    I hope that I won't get shot down when I write this. I have to admit that I don't have a kid and hopefully by next year, we'll have our adopted child. When we moved to HK last year, we were fully aware of the pollution in HK. We knew what we were getting into. We had people advising us not to move because of the pollution, and stuff like that. But we bit the bullet and we made the move. Having said that, there are times of the year that the pollution can be extremely bad but I'm not going around grumbling because I knew what I was going to get myself and my husband into.

I come from Singapore where the haze comes by at certain times of the year and it has become a part of our lives that we're used to it when we were living in Spore. We decided to move here because of money and also for career advancements. But if the pollution does get really bad to the point that we can't take it anymore, we may one day move back.

My point is that, if the pollution is really that bad, then do something like move back to your home country or something like that. From the reports that I've been reading from papers, the blame of the bad pollution is on China and other issues. I wonder, honestly, what can Donald Tsang do? Go across the border and ask them to shut down the factories? Maybe you are right, it takes someone to have the guts to do it. But at the end of the day, what are your expectations from the government? There are companies that have moved their headquarters to Singapore because of these issues and SCMP had it in their headlines, what realistically, what will the government do?

Sorry, enough of my ranting....my point is, if families came to HK with the lure of money and knowing fully and not being deceived about the pollution, then don't complain and make noises. To me it's like, ya, we know will earn good money and we know of the pollution and we'll come and grumble and complain. But if you're being deceived into coming then by all means go rant, rave, complain and do whatever you want. And know what you want and expect from the government.

Neha is offline Banned
    As a mother of a 11 month old child, I feel that the pollution levels in HK has deteriorated very fast in last few years. I came to HK in 2000 and things have gone downhill since then. My husband has been living in HK for the past 14 years and he did get asthma attacks from 1997 but since 2001 his attacks got worse to the extend that since 2006 he has to use a steroid inhaler twice a day to prevent asthma attacks. We as parents can deal with our own ill health but the fear of that affecting our son doesn't sit well with us.

Over the years Govt has made certain superficial attempts in cleaning up the pollution , but more needs to be done, Weather it is having certain days as no car days, odd/even no days, Talking to Guangdong province officials about their pollution levels, Contacting HK Owners of ftys in China to have certain off days and not running ftys 7 days a week. Having Solar pannels on top of High rises to use solar energy, using our surplus budget to find alternative energies. I am sure there are more ideas that can help us fight pollution.

On days when the pollution levels are very high we don't take our son out to Central, Causewaybay, we try to organize indoor activities for him , but we cant do that for the rest of his life, he needs open green spaces to go play and feel fresh and energetic.

Hong Kong is home for us and we are not going to leave Hong Kong anytime soon, but as residents we would like the Govt to take concrete steps in tackling this problem,

A Concerned Mother and A Concerned Resident

Neha is offline Banned
    sunniefaith dont worry u wont get shot down because u were honest about your reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Neha View Post
    sunniefaith dont worry u wont get shot down because u were honest about your reasons
    Thanks....phew....was thinking of getting vest But I have to say, sometimes it gets to me that people know what they are getting into and they turn around and grumble.

Neha is offline Banned
    I hope u read the entire thread " Pollution always so bad ?"

Ya...i did.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast