Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feta Cheese

Clowe is offline Registered User

Feta Cheese

Does anyone know if the feta cheese in HK is generally pasteurized? I assume most of the supermarket feta is (assuming it's not a dodgy market), but what about, say, the feta found in a wrap from MIX? In the US, all cheeses are required to be pasteurized by law, but not sure how it works here... Any advice or thoughts would be incredibly appreciated...

carang is offline Registered User
    you can check the packaging...if not, ask them which feta they use...then you can check yourself...

with my first pregnancy, i was VERY careful about what i ate... second time, not so much and ate as much feta as i liked. can't imagine giving the stuff up!

good luck!

mosmom is offline Registered User
    the feta cheese in taste (k. tong) is imported from greece, so it should be pasteurised. i even ate camembert during my pregnancy. yumm!!!

Clowe is offline Registered User
    thanks ladies! really quite reassuring. i'm trying to stay away from "higher risk" foods like soft cheeses, etc but every now and then i do slip or just don't think... bought a wrap from MIX the other day that had feta in it (without thinking) and just as soon as i took a few bites, i realized what i'd done... but still continued to finish it because it was so yummy and i was at work and didn't have time go out and buy anything else! the things that make us feel so guilty when we're preggers!!

this is my first pregnancy and i am just wrapping me the first tri, so i really appreciate your guidance