Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Does being indoors help avoid the pollution?

snagito is offline Registered User

Does being indoors help avoid the pollution?

Hi there! Have now done my own research on the amount of pollution we and our little ones are exposed to here in HK and yes, I am shocked. I have already joined the petition thread and will hope to be more active about this in the months to come.

The HK environmental affairs (govt) website has the API index history- in 2006 it showed that 2nd and 3rd quarters were relatively better than 4th and 1st quarters in terms of the pollution. This means that if 2007 is any thing like 2006, our air quality is not going to get much better till around April next year.

What can we do (apart from the activism that we have planned) to help ourselves and our little ones have minimum exposure to the pollution? Please could those who have lived here longer share their experiences of what they do?

When you stay indoors, do you shut all the windows? Then, do you use a fan, or the air conditioning (while it is still hot).. Does the air conditioning bring in the air from outside and circulate it through the house anyway?

Grateful for all your input. Thank you!

snagito is offline Registered User
    Also, do any of you use air purifiers? In your experience, do they work? Thanks.

mommy sara is offline Registered User
    We have an IQ Air purifier (from Bumps to Babes) I can't really tell that there's any difference but they say it works and it makes me feel better.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Indoor air, unless your place is somehow sealed, is basically the same as outdoor air.
    If your air purifiers "ionize" make sure they aren't placed near someone's head.
    PS. Should have noted that indoor air = outdoor air, but indoor air should be better than roadside air (unless you are living close to a major--in terms of traffic--road).
    Last edited by Sleuth; 10-11-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Added PS