Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

PCOS - Confusion

ka__ying is offline Registered User

Hi HappyV,

Thanks for responding to the message. I'll have a read on the South Beach Diet.

Looking back, it's almost a year since I started seeing Dr. Christine Choy. Had 1 miscarriage in January, and feeling quite depressed.

Sometimes feel like to give up as it has been over 2 year since TTC without any success but lots of emotional rollercoasters & bleeding cash...

RookieMom is offline Registered User

I have to agree with Binky here. I also didn't have a very good experience with Christine Choy. She's not the ideal OBGYN for a first time mother. She treats most things as run-of-a-mill, despite your concerns. She has no interest in your own birth plan, because she believes all women want to avoid pain as much as possible. She did not even bothered to look at my birth plan. Also, she did not consult with us who she had chosen for our pediatrician. Needless to say, the pediatrician behaves in the same way she does. The only decent guy who practiced patient care and bedside manner in my whole birth process was Henry Au (the one who gave me my epidural).

Christine Choy, in my experience, seem like she's an OBGYN for the money. She's rough with examinations.

I'm having my second child and I am looking for a new OBGYN.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

We all have different experiences and different way to behave with an Obgyn. I have been very happy to meet Dr Choy as a first time mum, as she has been the only one to listen to me and take my problems seriously. Thanks to her I had my first baby, and will definitively go back to her for the second one. This includes the pedetrician she adviced me, who has been caring a lot for my baby at birth and when some problems occured the first months, running from one side to the town to the other for us.

<pink_cactus> is offline Registered User

Experience with Dr Choy

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I am also a patient of Dr Choy since Jan this year, just like to share my experience with the rest. Agree with RookieMom that she charges a lot and didn't explain the costs of the treatment to you before it is administered, so you could be slapped with a huge bill after a 5mins consultation. However, I am comfortable with her as she seems to know her stuff. She suspected I had endometriosis thru the 1st ultrasound. Subsequently performed a laparascopy on me in Mar and successfully removed the chocolate cyst that I had. I TTC naturally for 6 mths before visiting her again recently. She seemed to be friendlier now, I wonder if it's because she has less patients due to bad remarks? I had learnt to do my own research and went prepared with a list of questions and she addressed all of them, giving me a sense of comfort that everything is fine with me. Am pretty happy with her now. I'm now on the 2nd month of Clomid and HCG injection, no luck on the 1st attempt last mth tho follicle (20mm) and lining (13mm) were of good size prior to ovulation. Keeping my fingers crossed this month, will update you on my experience with her as I go along.

HappyV is offline Registered User

pink cactus - did she discuss the differenfe between endometriosos and PCOS? Did she mention any particular diet to help with TTC?
    My OB/GYN said that before clomid she always preaches the South Beach Diet - only takes a few weeks for your body to respond, and even if it doesn;t directly help with conception, it gives you a healthier body to house a baby on for 9 months!

<pink_cactus> is offline Registered User

HappyV, Dr Choy didn't tell me anything about TTC diet. What is the South Beach diet? Where can i read more abt it? Am not sure of the difference between PCOS and endo. I think PCOS can be kept in check with medication. however, endo needs to be treated, i.e. the cysts removed and tubes cleared so that it does not affect fertility. For me, my fallopian tube was blocked, so she has to clear it via the same surgery.

HappyV is offline Registered User

pink cactus - PCOS can be treated thorugh various means, including medication, surgery and diet. WIthout knowing the specifics of your surgery, I couldn;t comment further. I do know that friends have had various procedures down to help with TTC through PCOS. It's not just about the cysts.
    The best thing I can recommend is to buy a copy of he SOuth Beach diet books (they usually have it at Dymocks). It explains the link between diet and PCOS very well, and offers other reading resources.
    Othersie - google! THta will give you a basic idea.
    Wikipedia has a very good entry on PCOS.
    Also -
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshealth/facts/pcos.htm is quite good.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

The South Beach diet is based around eating low Glycemic Index foods. The root cause of PCOS is insulan resistance and eating a low GI diet greatly reduces insulan reistance and it's symptoms, including PCOS. Check www.glycemicindex.com. They provide a list of all GI values tested to date, as well as some good books, including one about managing PCOS through what you eat. I finally read the book and found it to be incredibly informative, despite being diagnosed with PCOS over 10 years ago. My husband started the South Beach diet to lose weight and, after reading the GI book, I decided to eat a generally lower GI diet. My weight went down to my pre-diagnosis weight (I didn't eat less, just avoided the foods that agrivate my insulan resistance) and finally fell pregnant. I dont' know whether I can attribute my pregnancy to reducing my insulan resistance but I do know that I had been on fertility treatment for over a year with no success because it was established that I was resistant to clomid. Sticking with low GI eating has also made a world of difference in my pregnancy. I am 18weeks and by this time I had put on around 8-10kgs with my first two. This time I have only put on around 2.5kg. Once again I have not reduced the amount I eat - just avoided the stuff that really affects my insulan levels. Given that the South Beach diet came about through a doctor trying to reduce the incidence of heart disease, you can't really go wrong by trying lower GI eating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast