Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HELP! Need advice on local vs. international.

Lizabeth is offline Registered User

HELP! Need advice on local vs. international.

Hi. I know there are other threads that discuss the difference between Local schools and International, but my situation is a little different.

I was hoping for some advice because I feel very lost with all of this. My son is 2 years 2 months old. I found a school that I like and they offer both international and local classes. He would be in pre-nursery starting next month, 3 hours a day 5 days a week. I was never considering local before. We are American and I just figured International was the way to go because of the language. I just found out that my husband's company does not pay for education until age 4. We can not afford to send him to this school's international program, but we can afford the local program. We have a friend that is a kindergarten teacher and he has told me that a local program is the best decision and then put him in international at age 5. His advice was given without any knowledge of our situation. He said with children that young they will absorb the Chinese languages better in local.

Here are my options:
    1. Don't send him to school until next year at age three.
    2. Send him to a school that I do not like as much that we can afford there international program.
    3. Send him to a school that I like a lot, but in the local program. Then switch him to international at the same school for kindergarten.

As you can see, I am a bit confused. I want the best for my son like every mother. We are very new to Hong Kong so I would be very grateful for any insights and suggestions.

Thanks!
    Liz

Neha is offline Banned
    I would use option 3 . I know alot of people who send their kids initally to local schools and then switch to international school

Mom2two is offline Banned
    Would also do option 3, if you like their program and the way they care for the kids. Local education sometimes focuses very much on the academics, so just make sure the way that your son is being cared for / educated is in line with your ideas about upbringing. If that is the case, go for it! If not you can do option 1 and in the meantime start our own playgroup. Good luck with your decision.

carang is offline Registered User
    i'd wait until he was three, then go for option 3....26 months is awfully young to be going 3 hours, 5 times per week....my humble opinion.

joannek is offline Registered User
    second carang. although a lot of locals send their 24 mth old (some 20mths) to school 3hrs/5-day week. i feel that's too much for a large baby! before he turns 3, just set up playgroups, once or twice /week apply to parent/child classes for you & him, so that he gets to hang out with other small children.

Lizabeth is offline Registered User
    Thank you everyone for all of the great advice. It has really helped.