Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving to Singapore Jan 2008 - any advice?

CelticKiwi is offline Registered User

Moving to Singapore Jan 2008 - any advice?

My family and I (hubby plus one year old daughter) are moving from HK to Singapore for work in January 2008 and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can offer advice on the following:

- best area to live in with 1 year old (we were thinking about the 9th or 10th district?)
    - any good playgroups she might enjoy
    - possibility of having a live-out helper
    - any family-friendly venues for eating out/day trips
    - how easy it is to meet new friends/other Mums, etc.
    - any other things you might think of

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Celtic Kiwi

:yeah2

spockey is offline Registered User
    Hi Celtic Kiwi

Here's what I know from my experience:

Try and find a home near the Botanical Gardens. It is in District 10. Close to the malls, family friendly eateries, schools and green. Pretty much like having Central convenience without the pollution and crowds (unless you decide to walk along Orchard Road on the weekend).

You can't hire a live out DH in Singapore.

Good Luck with the move!

Cheers!

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    Have a look at Pat's Schoolhouse, they have very good programmes, Eton Schoolhouse is not bad too. There's also Tumble Tots. Check out Forum Galleria when you get there, it's a mall in Orchard Road next to Hilton. There's a couple of 'enrichment schools', play groups and baby gym. Think there's a couple in Tanglin Mall too

Spore is pretty baby friendly. There's lots of places that you can bring your kid too. As mentioned, Botanic Gardens, the Zoo is really nice too. West Coast Park is another of my favourite. It's not as crowded as East Coast Park. There's also Pasir Ris Park too. Most restaurants are baby friendly except for those stiff necked place, if you know what I mean. Have to warn you that rentals in Spore have gone up about 100% so be sure to get a good housing allowance. Holland Village is a good place to live in, lots of expats. I take it that you're from NZ from you nick, not sure if you want to live near the Australian International School. It's near Serangoon Gardens at Lorong Chuan. Might meet some Australian or NZ mums there.

That's all I can think of. Hope this is helpful. You'll make friends, Sporeans speak English pretty well, it might sound local and don't think you'll have problems making friends there.

louisouis is offline Registered User
    First of all let me extend an advance warm welcome to Singapore, my home country. Another area you may want to consider is around the East Coast (or Katong area). It is very convenient with lots of shops, eateries (in fact the area is famous for food) and nurseries. And the best thing is it is near the beach thus it is always nice to bring kids there for nice walks during the evening. I agree wth Sunniefaith about Holland village, it is also worth checking out. it has a very relaxed atmosphere, lots of cafes and restaurants. I know that there are a bunch of 2-storey terrace houses rented out by the government which have very reasonable rental prices and there is a good mix of the expat and local crowds there too. I hope you will enjoy your stay in Singapore.

a mum is offline Registered User
    Hi Celtic Kiwi,
    Same here. Will be moving to Singapore with my husband and 4.5 month old baby boy Q1 next year. I think you will be there before me so if you have any good tips to share after you've been there please let me know. Are you a working mum?

Louisouis, do you know if there are similar websites such as geobaby.com for Singapore. I think it could be helpful to get to know things better and faster.

CelticKiwi is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your advice. I think we'll go for somewhere in the 9th or 10th district.

I will be sure to share any tips or advice I pick up while I am there. Who knows...we may be living not that far from each other! Pm me if you would like my email address...

As for your question about whether I am working, well, I am currently working part-time and this arrangement suits me fine. I get to have some 'me time' at work and lots of time with my daughter and hubby.

CK

fennho is offline Registered User
    hi there...pretty much all the good places have been recommended. Me too from Spore...and have jus relocated to HK. a mum, there's a website www.singaporemotherhood.com which has a forum that covers a lot of baby stuffs....but it's not restricted to expats, more locals are there..but u can ask them pretty much everything... :)

juicy73 is offline Registered User
    You will have so much fun in Singapore - there is TONS for kids. The districts you mention are of course the most centrally-located but note that unlike HK, many of the other districts are convenient to get in/out of, so no one particular district will feel inconvenient. Every neighbourhood is self-contained and will have things you need. There are lots of accommodation options with pool, kids and sports facilities too, so just going down to the poolside/playgrounds will allow you to meet other parents but of course the places mentioned by the others here are excellent. Enjoy discovering Singapore - I am envious of the fresh air and greenery you will have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast