Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Health Concerns for Newborn in Planes

snuggles is offline Registered User

Health Concerns for Newborn in Planes

I am planning to go back to work shortly and have been a bit concerned with traveling with my baby who will be 10 weeks old when I have to resume my business trips to Shanghai (2.5 - 3 hour flights). on a monthly basis.

Many friends have said to have a baby take a round-trip flight every month would be unhealthy due to pressure on the ears and the higher risk of contracting illnesses due to the recycled air circulation in planes.

I am not comfortable to leave my baby in HK where I will not be able to see her everyday whereby in Shanghai, I would be able to stay with a relative and have her take care of the baby while I am at work.

Any comments would be appreciated!!!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I think it is up to you.....my son has travelled on aplane once every 2 months or so since he was a month old (he is now 12 months) and it has never had an adverse effect on him.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Do you know how early a baby can "fly"? We are TTC #2. Am intending to fly home to deliver 6 weeks before I'm due (back to Oz) then fly back to HK when bub is about 3-4 weeks old.
    Is bub too young to "fly" at that age?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I traveled back from the UK to Hong Kong with my third baby at 18 days and the woman in the seat next to me had a 12 day old. When I asked my doctor about babies and flying she told me that it was actually safer for the baby to fly than the mother.

I traveled a lot with my fourth child (not every month but it felt like that sometimes). I think we made 12 flights in her first two years, long haul as well as short haul.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi- airline companies and I think most Dr. won't let babies fly before a week old but after that they will let them.

We flew when our little one was almost four weeks old and no problems. I know babies who have flown at two weeks and also no problems.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Thanks ladies! I'm now even more certain about going home to deliver (when the time comes).