Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

travelling with screaming toddler!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    thanks for all the suggestions. i think we're going to have to get a dvd player tomorrow. might get a few quiet hours out of it! we've got some new toys and books so here's hoping. It's actually a lot to ask a toddler - to sit still for 15hours. not something my parents made me do very often!

carang is offline Registered User
    i took a video ipod... much smaller than a dvd player. also, i found my then 24 month old was happy to watch whatever was on the tv on the back of the seat in front of him. he didn't want/need the headphones and would tell me when the movie finished.

i took way more activities than we needed, but i thought better to be safe than sorry.

i also took some special food treats. "if you are a good boy, when this movie/show is finished, i'll give you an oreo!" nothing like old fashioned bribery... but whatever works!

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i'm all for good old fashioned bribery but treats laden with sugar have got to be bad idea when stuck on a plane ;-)
    :yeah2

carang is offline Registered User
    i also took carrot sticks and crackers... plus a few m&m little packets. their great, the kids only get a few and they work a treat! i also took some pocky sticks, peanut butter sandwiches(in case he didn't like what was served), raisins and some grapes.

beware though...you have to either eat the fresh food or dump it before you get off the plane, otherwise you could be in trouble.

ashlea is offline Registered User
    Travelling to the UK with a 13 month old baby in December, her nickname is Typhoon coz she leaves a trail of destruction behind her wherever she goes so could be fun. Any tips for taking a baby/toddler on a long haul flight? She is walking now. What do you do with the push chair on the flight - we have only ever done short flights so never taken one with us.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    ashlea

My 13-month old slept through probably 2/3 of the 18-hour flight. The rest of the time he would be either screaming and arching his back cos a turbulance woke him or the light disturbed his sleep, or he would be happily waving at other passengers. We brought his favorite snacks and toys to keep him entertained. We did not let him walk for fear that once his feet touched the ground he would never ever want to return to his seat. We checked in the pushchair but requested that we kept it until we board the plane.

Mine's nickname is yellow monster (somehow the nanny loves to dress him in yellow T with yellow pants) and his favorite game is tearing up boxes, papers and tissues. I think your girl and my boy might get along well with my boy. Maybe we should meet up :P

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    also if you searh the site, there are quite a number of threads with really useful advices on flying long flights with babies. Good luck!

turtle is offline Registered User
    I buy lots of sticker books before I go, my LO is really into Spot and Maisy at the moment. I don't show her them until we get on board and she is so excited to have something new to play with that it uses up quite a bit of time putting all the stickers in the right places. Might not work with a 13 month old but should work for the older ones. Good luck! P.S> Richard Scarry books are also good for planes as they take ages to talk about....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast