Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

travelling with screaming toddler!

aussiegal is offline Registered User

travelling with screaming toddler!

We're about to fly to NY with our 20 month old boy who has become a bit of a nightmare lately! He hates sitting still and loves to scream at the top of his lungs. He has a 4 month old brother who he has become jealous of - which explains some of his behaviour, the rest we put down to age because he is normally good.

Anyway, any suggestions for how to stay sane on the flight? What to do with him? How to keep him busy.

I am very, very worried!!!!!

carang is offline Registered User

how do you deal at home? deal in the same manner...

i always point out to mine that no one else is drumming the chopsticks, putting their feet on the table etc. and then ask why he is. then i tell him to stop.

he's 2yr 8 months now and in all honesty, i'm very lucky. i've only ever had 1 real temper tantrum from him when he was 14 months old. i just don't put up with anything, and he knows it.

good luck!

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

Having just travelled to San Francisco with a 26month old I can understand your apprehension! In the end there is not a lot you can do (although Phenergan works for some kids!) but the important thing is to guard your state of mind. He will probably exhibit behaviour that you don't want but you have to focus on him and NOT on what the other passengers might be thinking of your kid. Believe me, I am speaking from very recent experience! Ended up getting really wound up and just about losing the plot. Decided on the way home to just go with the flow (which meant walking up and down the aisles and in and out of the toilets) and not get worried about the other passengers. They will forget about you 2 minutes after they get off the plane. Keeping him happy kept the stress levels down. Packed heaps of his favourite snacks too. While I would have loved to keep things as routine as possible (no special treatment) the prime concern was simply getting through the flight and I was prepared to do what was necessary.

Good luck!

aussiegal is offline Registered User

we don't put up with it but that doesn't mean it stops him doing it! He's only 20 months and it's hard to reason with a 20 month old.

His tantrums don't last long but we're just not a couple that like our children messing with the peace for others. I think we'll be walking the aisles like you did Fee!

Last edited by aussiegal; 10-15-2007 at 07:42 PM.

all i was saying was that some people have a higher tolerance than others for tantrums.

i took my 5 week old and my 24 month old by myself on a 36 hour door-to-door trip back in march. i can relate.

i agree completely with what fee said. if you get worked up, it just makes it worse.

good luck!

ps> no offense was meant, in either respose

spockey is offline Registered User

Apart from walking up and down the aisles, I'd bring a bag of favourite toys, books, movie on portable DVD player/Ipod.
    Or...
    How about that good teaspoon of brandy

mommy sara is offline Registered User

I'm flying to the US on Wed with my 22 month old (alone!) so I know what you mean. I find that books and songs with hand motions are very effective for distracting from bad behavior. Crayons, new toys, magnetic drawing board, wooden threading beads, anything Thomas related, cars, trucks, etc. are also helpful. I also stay very calm and enforce the same rules we have at home. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast