Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Timed bd...difficulties

UKlady is offline Registered User

Timed bd...difficulties

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone else had had problems with timed bding?? I have PCOS and had my first cycle with injectibles this month. I was so excited after I had the trigger shot as my doctor told me that everything was perfect and for the first time I had the same chance as a 'normal' person as the metformin had also regulated my hormones completely. So, I was due to ov at 1am on the following night. Problem is, everything conspired against us from that point onwards! I got a UTI that day, so we couldn't bd. Then, on the 'big night', we had friends staying so we decided to bd before going out, then make sure we were home by midnight to bd again just before ov. Trouble is, with all this military planning my dh buckled under the pressure and we couldn't! We finally managed it at 3am ( 2 hours after ov), so now I'm not hopeful at all about this cycle.
    Has anyone else had problems with the pressure of this situation? Anyone got any tips?? I don't know whether to go for IUI next month to make sure we don't miss out again, or if we should try again naturally. Thing is my dh will be even more worked up this time so we might have even less chance this time!

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Clowe is offline Registered User
    oh you poor thing... i can sympathize completely.

but a few things you really need to bear in mind (and i'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you this): first of all, i don't think you can time exactly when you are going to ovulate down to the hour, even after an hcg shot. the rough approximation is between 24-28 hours after the shot is given. it's usually somewhere in there.

secondly, your egg stays alive 12-24 hours after ovulation and your DH's sperm stays alive in your body for at least 2 (max 7) days after sex. meaning, you have a pretty WIDE WINDOW during which to BD. And meaning it is silly to feel like you must BD at the HOUR of ovulation. it will only drive you insane and i can only imagine the pressure your poor DH feels.

I had two doctors through my TCC process - Dr. Dawkins and Dr. Philip Ho. Both are excellent and gave me fantastic advice and allowed my husband and I to conceive the very first time (as soon as they fixed my non-ovulation problem). They both said (and I've heard this echoed in plenty of literature) that as long as you BD APPROXIMATELY 24 hours before and 24 and then 48 hours AFTER your HCG shot, you have done everything you could to secure conception during this cycle. That worked for us and is the rule of thumb I generally hear about that has worked for many others who've had HCG shots.

If you overdue it (BD only HOURS apart), that will only work against you! Because a man's sperm takes a good 24 (at least!) to regenerate!! So if you BD at midnight and then BD at 3am, the resultant sperm will probably be pretty "useless" anyway.

Does that make any sense? Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions...

Clowe is offline Registered User
    sorry i meant the rough approx time of ovulation is between 24-48 hours after the hcg shot is given...

UKlady is offline Registered User
    Hi Clowe,

Thanks for your response. I'm just so annoyed that I got the UTI the day before so we couldn't bd 24 hours before ov was due. We did it the night before, so I suppose some sperm might have still been hanging around, but I know we definitely didn't give it the best shot. I forgot to mention that the next day we couldn't either (we tried again in the morning...no luck), so we're relying on the one time we managed at 3am (by which time I was so stressed I had probably blown it anyway!!). Also, my doctor makes me start using progesterone suppositories the night after ov is due, so I can't really bd 24 hours after the due ov time. I wonder if this is a problem? In fact, is it OK to bd when using Crinone? I guessed not as it's kind of unpleasant!