Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper still not here - help!

Canucker is offline Registered User

Helper still not here - help!

Hi all,

My husband and I have hired a "direct hire" helper who used to work for a Western family and decided to do all the paper work ourselves.

Anyways... to make a long story short... we started the paper work September 6th, finally got her visa and sent it to her which she got on Thursday (in the Philippines) but she says the earliest she can take the "course" is November 8th at her agency.

My questions... can she not go to another agency to get the course done to get here sooner? When do we start paying her salary, when she arrives or from when we dated the contract back in September?

I just didn't think it would take this long to sort a helper out who had worked in HK for 6 years before. I am just worried becuase I go back to work November 19th and want time to get to know her and trust her with my baby.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Canucker

Ali71 is offline Banned
    Oh no. I don't know about the 'course', surely she can pressurize the agency and do it more quickly, or you could contact them - since you will be the one paying their fee I presume. A friend (on her third hire attempt) threatened the agency as they really messed the helper about. Unfortunately I have heard so many bad stories about helpers coming from the Phillippines - not that they were bad helpers, but it always involves coming to HK later than arranged or needing more money for various reasons (see recent posts by others!). Your baby will probably be ok, it's just you building the trust, if you really spend some time teaching her your ways, you can probably get to know her in a few days.

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Ali71,

Thanks for your advice. I will get the name of the agency and give them a call myself (or a friend who is from there b/c of language barrier). And you are right... mother's instinct will kick in if this helper is just not right for us.

Best,
    Canucker

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Hi Canucker,

You start paying the helper her salary on the day she arrives in HK (it's part of the contract terms) so I guess there's the small consolation that you are not out of pocket during the time she is still in the Philippines.

About the timing of the paperwork, I think it differs for everyone. Actually I had the opposite problem as my Direct Hire maid was keen to start with us as early as possible (she is here now) whereas since I am not due until next March, I really didn't need her so soon.

My helper is also from the Philippines and it only took her less than one week to clear formalities after receiving the visa/documents from me in the mail. She has only worked one year in HK (her contract ended early as she was in a labour dispute with her prev employer who wasn't paying her) and so when she went to process her papers, the POEA told her there was no need to pay the POEA fee (US$100), and she also did not need a new medical exam as it has not been 2 years since her last one! All she paid to the POEA was a small 100 peso fee for some mbrship fee or other.

I know there are many bad stories about helpers (from Philippines and elsewhere) but there are also good ones too. In my case, I was prepared to pay the US$100 POEA fee, medical fee etc. but my helper told me that there was no need. So there are many honest and good helpers out there too! I guess what I'm trying to say (in my long-winded way) is not to lose heart! Good luck!