Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory


Dependent visa... can I work?

  1. #1
    ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong

    Dependent visa... can I work?

    I'm here on a dependent visa under my hubby who is a permanent resident. I remember when we first came 4 years ago that immigration had me sign a form saying that I wouldn't work while we were here. A couple of years ago I heard from a friend that that wasn't an issue anymore.

    Does anyone know? Or do you know how I could find out? There is a great job opportunity that I am looking into, but one of the requirements is having a visa that will permit me to work.


    All the best,

  2. #2
    scr is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003

    Call the immigration directly..they are very helpful.

    But as far as I know they changed the rule and dependants are allowed to work, but I didn't think it was an issue for dependants of permanent residents even when they introduced that rule 4 years ago.

    Good luck

  3. #3
    rani's Avatar
    rani is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong


    Here's a thread on GeoExpat. You need to go to immigration and change the visa sticker in your passport.

  4. #4
    bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong

    I am a permanent resident, and we looked into what would happen if my husband changed jobs.

    This is what immigration sent me,

    'Whereas, for a sponsor who is a Hong Kong permanent resident or a resident who is not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. a resident with the right to land or on unconditional stay), the following dependants may apply to join him/her for residence in Hong Kong:
    - his/her spouse;
    - his/her unmarried dependent child under the age of 18; and
    - his/her parent aged 60 or above.

    Dependants so admitted could work in Hong Kong within the validity of their limited of stay granted.

    Hence, if you are a Hong Kong permanent resident, you husband may apply for a dependent visa. This saves him form applying for approval whenever he is going to change his job.'

    So, yes you can work but will need to apply for dependent visa.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting our helper a US Visa
    By southside852 in forum Helper Forums
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
  2. UK visa
    By beckymaky in forum Helper Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 11:49 AM
  3. Getting US visa for new DH
    By MeowMeow in forum Helper Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 08:55 AM
  4. Dependent on pacifier
    By Konradsmom in forum Sleep and your Baby
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 08:44 AM
  5. visa to US for Helper
    By AAM in forum Helper Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 07:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Scroll to top