Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Moving from Singapore back to HK??

papaof2 is offline Registered User
    Hey fellow Singaporeans! I'll new here and will be moving to Hong Kong very soon for work too. In fact, I'll be moving next month Jan.

My wife has been sourcing for a kindergarten for my 3yr old son. The feedbacks we saw from other websites had not been encouraging. Parents in Hong Kong have to deal with school rankings (as well as branding), interviews (!???) for their toddlers, curriculum, paths to branded schools etc...

I'll be working in Kowloon and I've heard Kowloon Tong is where most of the International schools are located. Any recommendations? Straits Times has reported several times that international schools over there are pretty much full. What other alternatives do we have?

Btw, are there any Singapore schools in Hong Kong??

helena is offline Registered User

Singaporeans are NOT allowed to enrol in international schools in Singapore

Dear Sunniefaith,

FYI, Singaporeans are NOT allowed to study in international schools in Singapore. MOE only gives permission if:

1) The students are returning Singaporeans who have studied in international schools overseas as they have lived abroad for some time; and

2) The children have special learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, as international schools have teachers trained in dealing with special needs children.

Therefore, politicians in Singapore do not send their kids to international schools. In Hong Kong, anyone can attend any school he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by papaof2 View Post
    Hey fellow Singaporeans! I'll new here and will be moving to Hong Kong very soon for work too. In fact, I'll be moving next month Jan.

My wife has been sourcing for a kindergarten for my 3yr old son. The feedbacks we saw from other websites had not been encouraging. Parents in Hong Kong have to deal with school rankings (as well as branding), interviews (!???) for their toddlers, curriculum, paths to branded schools etc...

I'll be working in Kowloon and I've heard Kowloon Tong is where most of the International schools are located. Any recommendations? Straits Times has reported several times that international schools over there are pretty much full. What other alternatives do we have?

Btw, are there any Singapore schools in Hong Kong??
    Hi! The Singapore International School is located at Aberdeen. We've not sent our son there cos it's very far from where we live and I feel that contrary to belief held in Singapore, the education there is not the best. Btw, I used to be a teacher in a top school. ;)

International schools in HK require the kids to go through an interview. Sometimes, the parents are also interviewed. But nothing scary lah...they just want to test the kid on his oral communication and social skills. Also, some international kindergartens here require debentures which are interest free.

My advice is to get a kindergarten that has a feeder primary and secondary school so you can save the trouble of hunting for one later.

And welcome to HK!

spockey is offline Registered User
    Helena, if one parent is a foreigner, you can send your kid to an international school in Singapore.
    One politician has exercised this option, Mr. Mah Bow Tan.
    While living in Singapore, I tutored a child who's father is not Singaporean and he attended the UWC.

There are better education systems than the Singapore option. My personal two cents of the matter would be to go for a real international experience, choose the AIS, GSIS, HLYIS etc. ... even Yew Cheung IS This is based on my teaching experience in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. There's still a great deal of rigidity in the Singapore way.

There are good EMI schools in Hong Kong. St. Margaret's has a good reputation and St. Paul's has an excellent reputation!

Thanks for your advice, Helena! I agree too that Singapore does not have the best education. It has a good education system on the whole as compared to many other countries.

It's been a nightmare for my wife and I to get our boy into an International kindergarten. Everyone we called is full! Those with feeder into primary and up are even worse with a lengthy waiting list. And childcare doesn't seem as popular in Hong Kong. Not many provide full day care.

Are there any good International kindergartens that provide full day care?? Where else can we go?

Quote Originally Posted by papaof2 View Post
    Thanks for your advice, Helena! I agree too that Singapore does not have the best education. It has a good education system on the whole as compared to many other countries.

It's been a nightmare for my wife and I to get our boy into an International kindergarten. Everyone we called is full! Those with feeder into primary and up are even worse with a lengthy waiting list. And childcare doesn't seem as popular in Hong Kong. Not many provide full day care.

Are there any good International kindergartens that provide full day care?? Where else can we go?

HI!
    I know what you mean. My husband and I were kiasu cos we virtually went around all the supposedly good kindergartens. Guess everything here in HK runs on capitalism, things is based on demand and supply. Education included.

If I'm not wrong, Think has classes up to 6.30pm. It has a few branches. Also has a feeder primary school. Check out www.think.edu.hk

Maybe you can leave your email for me to send you a file.

Thanks Helena! My email is [email protected]. I will check out Think Kindergarten :)

Btw, I have one last question - term start in Aug/Sept in Hong Kong. How do they calculate the age of children? My boy is born in Jan 05 and when we ask around, some told us he should be in nursery and some told us he can be in K1. I personally would like him to be in K1 as he will be 3 yrs old in Jan. I understand K1 is for children age 2 yrs 8 mths, then why are some schools suggesting nursery?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12