Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Biting problem while BF

mamaS is offline Registered User

Biting problem while BF

Hi,

My 13 month old starts to bite after or before a nursing session, i've read and done the suggestions from different websites......i've tried talking to him; putting him back to his cot; giving him to another person for a few minutes; changing the time of feeding and let him play first; BF him during his nap time....but nothing works. I'm worried that he doesn't take enough milk, not to mention that i'm getting scared when will he attack He prefers to go down my lap, crawl and play.

He is still interested in nursing as he gets excited when we position. Last week, he bites after the feed, but for the past two days, he bites after a few seconds only. He has 4 upper and 4 lower teeth, so it's really getting painful for me, and wanting to give up now.

EVERYBODY is telling me to stop now. Are there any other tips from moms who had this problem and was able to BF without biting again?

Thanks!

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I am concerned about this too but mine is only 5 months now. My friend encountered this problem and she told me to use a serious and stern voice and tell him, "No, that hurts Mommy, no biting." Several times of reinforcing this should get the message across. Good luck!

Rosanna is offline Registered User
    Hi mamaS

I was facing the same problem with my 9month old and I totally understand what you are going through. I realised that he was not really hungry when I was feeding him and therefore tended to play by biting it as he is teething also. I now feed him when he is realy hungry and asks for feed till then I let him play. He has stopped biting.

You might want to try letting him play till he is really hungry and asks for feed then give him BF.
    Rosanna & Aditya

joannek is offline Registered User
    LLL always teach that when your baby bites, push his/her face towards your breasts, so he/she has to oush you away & open his/her mouth to gasp for air. i tried that & it worked. but i tried the first time she bit, and she never did again, cos she thinks biting means cannot breath. also, do not respond or scream or anything, cos if she/he is getting a response from biting, he/she will think it's a game!

good luck!

joannek is offline Registered User
    sorry typo - "push you away & gasp for air" in line 2.

Hi Joanne,

This technique works well with small babies only, i did this when baby was around 6 months and starting to bite, it works at that time, but doing this for a 13 month old, the more he pulled and bite my nipple (ouch!) So i just insert my finger in his mouth.

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by joannek View Post
    LLL always teach that when your baby bites, push his/her face towards your breasts, so he/she has to oush you away & open his/her mouth to gasp for air. i tried that & it worked. but i tried the first time she bit, and she never did again, cos she thinks biting means cannot breath. also, do not respond or scream or anything, cos if she/he is getting a response from biting, he/she will think it's a game!

good luck!

Hi Rosanna,

I feed him upon waking up at 7am, so this morning i let him play wishing that he will be so hungry for milk, we feed at almost 8am, he feeds for about a minute or two then bite, the other breast, he doesn't like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanna View Post
    Hi mamaS

I was facing the same problem with my 9month old and I totally understand what you are going through. I realised that he was not really hungry when I was feeding him and therefore tended to play by biting it as he is teething also. I now feed him when he is realy hungry and asks for feed till then I let him play. He has stopped biting.

You might want to try letting him play till he is really hungry and asks for feed then give him BF.

Hi Mintycat,

For 5 months old, you can try what Joanne said, push the baby towards your breast so he can't breath thru his nose and will open his mouth.

I did talk to him in serious voice, even raising my voice in another instance, but he smiles, he thinks i'm playing games with him. Didn't work. Giving me a headache on what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by mintycat View Post
    I am concerned about this too but mine is only 5 months now. My friend encountered this problem and she told me to use a serious and stern voice and tell him, "No, that hurts Mommy, no biting." Several times of reinforcing this should get the message across. Good luck!