Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Very worrying...my baby loves throwing things!!

happybilly is offline Registered User

Unhappy Very worrying...my baby loves throwing things!!

My baby girl is 9 months old and she is always throwing anything she picks up. She knows I don't like it and sometimes before she throws something she'd look at me and then throw it anyway, even though I'd be saying don't throw it. I'm pretty sure she could understand what I say but I don't know why she loves throwing things?

Is this common for other babies at this age?

carang is offline Registered User
    she's nine months old. mine is the same age... they still don't have complete control over their body's and she most likely does NOT understand what you are saying....that doesn't come for a few more months...

i'm guessing it is your first child?

all you can do is to gently stop her from throwing things and gently say no... that's how they learn what the words mean, by repetition and action(showing them what you mean)

capital is offline Banned
    9 mmonths it too young to be doing it on purpose to annoy you. She could be doing it because you give her a show when she does it (when you get upset). She has no impulse control, so even if she did understand that she shouldn't do it, she cannot control herself from doing it. Impulse control takes years to develop. I would give her somethings that are okay to throw like soft balls/toys, and when she throughs something she shouldn't say No, without a lot of fuss, take it away, she will learn, but it will take a long time

happybilly is offline Registered User
    Thanks, carang and capital!

Yes, it's my first baby so maybe i get over anxious over everything.

Do you know a good place to get non-toxic baby safe soft balls?

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    It is a game that they play Named Cause and Effect. Oh, they enjoy it and I love playing with my baby the last 2 days. I use plastic bowls and cups, those colorful ones that i got from ikea, we play on the floor (on playmat) so the noise will not bother the downstair people. They love anything that spin so i 'throw' the cup or bowl gently, they spin! He then imitate me and I taught him gently, the result was we have a good afternoon because we just laugh so much! I told my husband we need not to buy toys, just use whatever we can find in the house. Friends 'gifts' him toys, instead of playing with those toys, he played those boxes!

No amount of NO will stop a 9 month-old baby from his/her new found game so play along with him/her! have fun :)
    Last edited by mscheerful; 11-02-2007 at 09:54 PM.

mnisbett is offline Registered User

Smile My Baby Throws things too

My baby still throws things at 12 months old. As soon as I pick up the pile of things she's thrown and rest them neatly on the coffee table, she seems to enjoy sending them all to the ground again. It's definitely lots of fun for her and a developmental stage I suppose. Don't get upset. And just remove anything that's dangerous to throw (a drinking glass, etc.) from baby's reach. Or you can distract baby with another toy. Have fun watching your little one learn on a daily basis as they grow so fast.