Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Travelling w/4mth old on Continental

sassybaby is offline Registered User

Travelling w/4mth old on Continental

Hi Eveyone:

I'm going back to the US w/my 4 month old on Continental - HKG - Newark - Atlanta - and I deparately need some advice on how to manage things on this 20 hour journey. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!!

1) Baby is completely bottle fed. Is there a way around having to carry tons of baby bottles?

2) Can I carry bottled water on board?

3) Continental told me I have to request a bassinette at the airport, which is starting to freak me out a little. Is this typical?

4) Any other tips and advice, like using baby carrier, or dealing with jet lag, or how to best pack so as to not lug around my whole household....

Thank you so much! It would be great to hear your experience.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    hi sassybaby

just returned from Toronto with 13 month old. Flew with CX.

1) we brought 1 bottle for milk, 1 for water, and 1 for standby. We used drink water to wash the used bottle. We asked the flight attendent for water and they gave us a big evian bottle. If you want the bottle sterilized, i think you can buy one of these single bottle sterilizer at mothercare or use sterilizer tablets (bumps to babes carry them).

2) I think the security check at HK end is quite loose. I had no problem with bottled water both times I left HK but from US, I would imagine that might be difficult. In case the officer don't allow, you can always buy bottled water AFTER security check.

3) with CX, they could only confirm bulk head seats and bassinet upon check in.

4) we packed all the baby stuff in a single bag and kept it under the seat throughout the flight. Don't forget to bring extra clothing for the baby (and a shirt for yourself) in case she spit milk or for whatever reason. Also, prepare extra formula in case there are unexpected change to the flight schedule.

Good luck!

sassybaby is offline Registered User
    Thanks ELT! I've tried the sterilizer tablets but didn't realize that there is a single bottle sterilizer too. I'll have to check that out.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I just did LAX-HK (and the other way around of course) yesterday with a 4 month old and a 20 month old. I understand your desire to not carry too many bottles around but for me i much prefer not having to wash bottles on the plane. It is a big hassle, i don't trust the water and sterilizing is hard. i take one of those avent thermo bags and always make sure i have a couple of bottles in it with hot water (that has been boiled) that way whenever my baby needs to feed i am ready, i just need to add some of the hotter water to another bottle with cold water. i use bottled water as much as possible but had to resort to their own water on one leg and i swear my baby hated it and got a tummy ache. To get through security i fill each bottle with 100 ml and then buy bottled water after security. In any case, most security people will turn a bit of a blind eye to mums with babies. I take a whole tin of formula so i don't have to ever worry about running out. You just never know. On our flight to NY our baby fed about 10 times but only 60mls a time. It was really annoying not only because each time i had prepared 180 mls and it was a waste of food but because it meant i had to wash lots of bottles with no detergent and i had no way of sterilising.

you only need to take a couple of toys for a four month old, even if they don't sleep much there's a lot going on around that will keep them interested. Really though, unless your baby is sick they should sleep fine. Babies seem to get lulled by the hum of the plane.

Never be afraid to see if they have a different counter at the immigration line for families. They normally don't but just bringing attention to the fact that you are holding a baby gets them to send you to a quicker line :) works everytime for us.

Just relax and enjoy the trip as much as you can. It will only get harder as your baby gets older! Comparatively, this is an easy age for flying.

hkrose is offline Registered User
    Hello! I've been on several flights to US and back so I hope I can offer some extra info.

1) Baby is completely bottle fed. Is there a way around having to carry tons of baby bottles?

If you don't want to carry tons of bottles, have you thought about the bottles where you can use the baggies for milk? I'm not sure of the name but I can get you more info if you need it.

2) Can I carry bottled water on board?

As previously stated... HK side seems more flexible. The US side on the other seems quite rigid. We flew back this July/Aug and I had difficulties with items I had purchased in the airport. It seemed really unusual to me but they made us dump everything. So in that case... if you need a certain type of water you might be able to fight but the plane does have bottled water that they can give you. Though technically you are supposed to be allowed to bring milk for a baby.

3) Continental told me I have to request a bassinette at the airport, which is starting to freak me out a little. Is this typical?

I've always had to request special things like this at the airport. It's no fun but if that's what you want... do it and make sure you give yourself enough time so the seats aren't filled up. Bassinettes never worked for my daughter but I at least had the extra leg room. Ask for a seat next to an empty seat. Always helpful!

4) Any other tips and advice, like using baby carrier, or dealing with jet lag, or how to best pack so as to not lug around my whole household....

Now I've never been via Newark (I'm always Chicago/Atlanta first) but I've always had to pick up my luggage and take it through customs at the first stop in the US. I don't know if you're traveling alone but I always was and it's not easy to have a ton of carryon's on top of pushing luggage around. If you are comfortable carrying your child in a carrier (around airports) I would suggest doing that over a stroller simply because of what I mentioned above.

The children never seem to need all that you pack so just keep that in mind. I don't know when you leave but you could even do a diaper count one day so you don't have to overpack even on those. And even for yourself... for me I've never been able to read/etc when traveling with kids because when she's asleep, I sleep and when she's up so am I entertaining her. Maybe your child will be totally different and you'd have more freedom but I rarely pack anything for myself these days.

Bring extra clothes for yourself and her just in case.

Do not be afraid to ask for anything on the plane. They may be grumpy but it's their job to help you.

Don't get stressed if your child cries. Most people will understand and those that don't... will some day.

Let your daughter suck on something while take off and landing.. it helps her ears.

Jet lag.... I don't really think there's anything you can do for her age. for our first flight (daughter was 2 months) we put on pj's when she should be sleeping and actually I still do that. It doesn't always work but if they're used to a routine it might help. You can try keeping them up but it might wear you out more than anything. Just sleep when she does and eventually it will go back to being normal... ask for help when you arrive for in the middle of the night play times.

Leave room in your suitcase (or bring an extra) for all the special things you want to bring back and trust me if this is the first time people are meeting her... you'll have lots to bring back. :)

And finally... HAVE A GrEAT TIME!!!!! The trip won't be as bad as you think it will be.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    My wife just took our 17 MO on the HK-Newark-DC trip in economy and said the flight was fine. I am sure you will find your worries to be exaggerated and that you will be well-prepared for the flight.

2) Carrying bottled water seems to be easier in HK than USA (especially if you say it is for baby), but we had carry-on water rejected today in Ningbo so I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket.
    3) We have always requested the bassinet at the airport and have also asked the flight crew as soon as we board; you should be able to take your confirmation # to Continental website and make sure you have bulkhead seats.
    4) Jet lag--force yourself into the Atlanta time zone. You can go to sleep early, but not 3 in the afternoon.
    5) To keep in mind next time--the Newark transfer is always a problem; you either arrive late or the next plane is delayed. Try taking Northwest to Tokyo and Delta to Atlanta (both NW and Delta are in same terminal in Tokyo). An alternative (if you are a night owl) is the Korean Air flight which goes HK-Incheon-Atlanta.
    6) Buy a Sit-n-Stroll. It's a stroller, airplane seat and car seat (forward and back) all in one. The wheels fold under and the handle telescopes. It fits in economy size seats and eliminates the need to bring one of everything. Our LO is pushing 150,000 air miles in his.

robyn501 is offline Registered User

Wink did HK to Newark 2 weeks ago on Continental....

Okay- so since I just did a similar trip on Continental with a 3 month old....

1) We use the playtex drop ins bottles so you can bring one bottle with lots of liners and extra nipples if you like (basically eliminates the washing of any excess bottles)

2) Bottled water....well we had a bottle with water in it, had to empty that out before security. Then, once inside the gates, we purchased 3 small bottles of Volvic. Right before we got onto the plane- they took the water from us, even though they were sealed, purchased after the security check, and I explained they were for my baby, etc. Anyway- if you have an empty bottle or thermos thing, they will fill it with bottled water once on the plane (or boiled water, whatever your preference).

3) Basinette- well we had the reservation for the special seats so there was not an issue. On our flight it was row 32 in coach (on a 777). When we were on the plane, they gave us one once we were in the air.

In general.....
    To the U.S. we had an extra seat for the baby, even though we didnt use it for her to sit in. She basically hung out in the Baby Bjorn or on our laps for the flight. It seemed that people liked to lean on or touch the basinette as it was hanging and we were not going to deal with that, so we had it hanging on the wall (to prevent people from walking infront of us) and we didnt put her in it. Also- if you want to put your baby in that thing- you better bring some blanets and stuff of your own, since it is pretty crusty looking if you know what I mean.... On the way back, we actually bought a bigger convertible car seat from the U.S. (since it has the sticker saying that you can take it on a plane) and our baby sat in her own seat so so so content the entire ride back to HK! Do take note, if you have a Maxi Cosi which we use in HK (or something else with no sticker that says "Suitable for use in automoblies and aircrafts" Continental wont let you bring it on the plane.

Bring changes of clothing, lots of formula, and lots of diapers. The rest will be fine- oh yes, make sure you give a bottle on the way up and down. We had NO crying on either of the two flights- so I wish you all the same luck!

robyn501 is offline Registered User
    Oh yes...we had no jet lag issues going to the U.S. but coming back to HK, it took about 4 days to get back into some sort of normal routine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast