Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How to re-introduce bottle

smo0262 is offline Registered User

How to re-introduce bottle

My little girl is 4 months old now, she is refusing bottle which gives me little freedom to go out.

She was bottle fed with expressed breast milk from birth till 1.5 months old, as she started to latch on better and could drink directly from breast, she rejected the bottle.

I live in Sai Kung, often transportation to and from the town takes 1 hr if not more, which leaves me only an hr to get things done and have to rush home to feed her.

I'd much appreciate for any tips you can offer, am desperate to regain some social life.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Below are some tips that can be used if baby is reluctant to take the bottle:

• Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be too hungry,
    • Wrap the baby in a piece of the mother’s clothing (blouse or nightgown, for example) while offering the bottle,
    • Instead of pushing the bottle nipple into the baby’s mouth, try laying it near his mouth and allowing him to pull it in himself,
    • Try running warm water over the bottle nipple to bring it up to body temperature,
    • Try different types of bottle nipples to find a shape, a substance (rubber or silicone), and a hole size the baby will accept,
    • Try different feeding positions. Some babies like to sit propped against the caregiver’s raised legs; others prefer not to look at the caregiver and will take a bottle better if they are held facing out, with their back against the caregiver’s chest,
    • Try to feed the baby while moving rhythmically – rocking, walking or swaying from side to side – because this may be calming to him,
    • Insert the bottle nipple into the baby’s mouth when he’s sleeping,
    • Keep trying, but remember that the baby can be fed the mother’s milk with a cup, even month old babies can drink from cups with someone's help.

The method I’ve found is most useful with older babies is to make it a very different experience to breastfeeding. They would rather breastfeed than bottle feed so if you hold the baby in a similar way they will refuse the bottle – showing you their preference. Often babies will take a bottle this way from someone who isn't the mother but not from the mother - I think they smell the milk and want the real thing.

I would also encourage you to take the baby with you as this way you don’t have to worry about either expressing the milk or getting her to feed from a bottle. Plan places that you can stop and feed in comfort. I always feed in the back of the taxi. Coffee shops are ideal because you can have a drink too. I know that running around and doing jobs takes longer when you have the little with you but remember you are actually doing two jobs at once – your chore and looking after the baby.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

smo0262 is offline Registered User
    Sarah, thanks for the tips. I've just bought another type of bottle, hope she would take it better.