Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not sleeping during the day...!

shaanmom is offline Registered User

Not sleeping during the day...!

Hi All,
    Maybe this topic has been discussed before, can't find it, but hope someone can help....
    My 9mth just doesn't nap during the day. He'll catnap for 1/2 hr or max 1hr at a time, but it's a real struggle to get him down for his 12-2pm nap (rocking, singing, dark room etc). He wakes at about 5:30-6am so it's a long stretch till 12.... In the afternoon he'll struggle along till 5pm till he can't take it and naps another hour.
    He drinks his milk and meals on time, so I know it's not hunger. At night (thank God) he knocks off fairly quickly at 7:30pm till about 4:30am when he wails a bit for our bed, then sleeps till 5:30-6am.
    Any suggestions/experience...? Thanks!!!!!

kellyst is offline Registered User
    i've been reading Baby Whisperer to prepare for my second child. so i'm gonna venture a guess. at 9mths, it might be quite tough that he's lasting so long in the morning. it's sounding like you're trying to get to a routine already, but would you consider putting him down earlier than 12pm? even at 9 or 10am, then again for a short nap later in the afternoon.

he might be overtired already at 12pm. just a guess :)

rach is offline Registered User
    i had so many problems with day sleeps (actually nights as well so you are lucky there) even now my son is nearly 12 months and only just going to sleep in the day by himself but i still have to stand by and he still cries. but i can tell you advice i was given and read. firstly does your baby go to sleep by himself in the day - if you are rocking feeding to sleep then placing in cot then after 1 sleep cycle (approx 30 to 40mins) they wake up and because they are not in your arms or the same place when they fell asleep they wake up. so trick is to get him to fall asleep in cot (patting etc) it was suggested to me that i go back in around 30 to 40mins and when they come into their light sleep gently tap back to sleep (which sometimes worked). for some lucky mums it seems their babies will learn to sleep for longer periods on their own but i think it depends on the baby - we've tried lots of things but he still does not nap all that well but it has definately improved by not rocking him etc (plus i can't carry him as much he is too heavy). hope that helps

kellyst is offline Registered User
    agree with rach that rocking and carrying is NOT the way to go. we've had that for months and i've regretted doing that. makes it so hard for everybody. we've only stopped when my 2.y.o. graudates to a big bed where we actually sleep next to her now (haha.. doesn't sound like an improvement...) but anyways, much easier on us. looking back, rocking is definitely not a good and sustainable way.

Hi All, Thanks for the interesting comments.
    Kellyst, actually, he's been in a kind of routine since 3mth, but it's going haywire. He used to nap a bit in the am around 8:30am for upto an hour, so the 12-2pm nap was doable. But now, not sure why, he won't :(.
    Rach, I also tried the patting a few times. I gave up after trying to pat a wriggly and sometimes crying baby for almost 1/2 hour and picked him up..... But I know I have to do it. The thing is that he's come to us after 12 years of trying, so we are just enjoying everything about him (can't stop cuddling & ****ing!!!)... I'll try again, I think that just going in after 30 mins to pat makes sense.
    Thanks!!

Star Anise is offline Registered User
    Shaanmom...I can completely relate to you, our 3 month old will not sleep during the day, she will get up at 5.30 am, sleep at 6.30 am to 8.00 am and will only have cat naps for approx 20 min through to 6.00 pm. She becomes irritable and overtired and will not drink her milk. I'm worried about her not eating and sleeping enough during the day. Surprisingly she can manage to sleep through from 7pm to 2.00 am, 3.00am and sometimes, 5.00 am. Its comforting for her to suck on the breast to fall asleep, I'm trying to discourage this as I am about to go back to work in 3 weeks time. Any tips on settling babies during the day?

Not Sleeping During Day...

Hi Star Anise, I was able to get my guy to sleep a bit longer by laying down with him during the day. Not ideal, but in all honesty very nice as I got a nice snooze as well! You need to check why your LO won't sleep - is the room too bright? too many distractions? over stimulated? The Baby Whisperer book (invaluable) suggests swaddling, reassuring, blocking out visual stimuli, try to substitute breast with pacifier...
    Good luck!

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Although every baby is different, a baby usually needs 2 sleeps a day until they are around 1-1.5 years old. You may find that your 9 month old is very over-tired by 12 and finding it hard to sleep. I'd try putting him to bed earlier, say around 10am and see how you go. I'd also try putting him back to bed in the afternoon for another sleep, even if it is just a short power nap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast