Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Carrier advice

kahling is offline Registered User

Baby Carrier advice

Hi everyone, i am after some baby carrier advice...
    i have a 4 month old baby and want a baby carrier that is:

1. easy to put on and off
    2. easy to put baby in and out
    3. lightweight (can be folded away into a handbag)
    4. ables me to sit with the baby strapped in (eg not baby bjorn, i have a baby bjorn and its quite uncomfortable to sit when you are wearing it with the baby)

I want to use it whilst get in and out of taxis (then transferring him to a stroller after the taxi ride) + i am thinking wearing the baby in the taxi is safer that holding him in my arms!?
    Currently finding it difficult to hold baby + handbag + stoller + shopping bags!

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

capital is offline Banned
    I like mei tai style best. You can sit easily, easy to tie on, you do have to untie at least 1 knot to get baby out though. As far as safty, unfortunatly it isn't safer to have the baby on you. In an accident you have to choice of the baby flying out of your arms, and perhaps the car altogether, or in in a carrier, crushing the baby. I am always at unease in a taxi in Hong Kong and pray we wont be in an accident.

miaka is offline Registered User
    i used a maya wrap (before i got preganant again) and plan to use it w/ my newborn. i have seen a lot of domestic helpers using something similar only w/o the rings, they just tie a knot. my baby loved the sling cuz it let her see a lot more.

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    i like the ergo but im not sure if its comfy sitting down.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I used a mayawrap too. I don’t know if it is safer than in a normal carrier but I’d kid myself it was because the seat belt fits under the sling and not over it. This keeps you in place and doesn’t crush the baby. When I traveled on aroplanes the hostesses would let me use it instead of a baby seat belt.

I found it very comfortable whether I was walking, standing or sitting. I also liked the fact you could use the end of the sling to cover the baby if he was asleep or feeding.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    i'm using a mei tai i bought in the wet market. you can sit with it comfortably, and my lo likes it much better than the expensive, fancy-style carriers. much easier for me to put on/off, too (plus saves you lots of $).

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    I did that w/ my kids too! I loved it and used it w/ both kids and have lent it to friends.

Quote Originally Posted by mosmom View Post
    i'm using a mei tai i bought in the wet market. you can sit with it comfortably, and my lo likes it much better than the expensive, fancy-style carriers. much easier for me to put on/off, too (plus saves you lots of $).

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We're big fans of our Maya Wrap for all the reasons stated above. LLL sells them here in HK.