Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Please Help to choose a kindergarten?

mansha is offline Registered User

Please Help to choose a kindergarten?

Hi to all moms.i have a 2.5 yr old son (living in hk side) and i have been looking at schools for his next yr k1 admission. After reading some mothers' suggestions abt different schools i personnally went to see some of them.the best 1 i liked was rosaryhill.the campus is sooo big,open playgrounds,spacious and bright classrooms and even the teachers were very friendly and i felt it is a gud school.As compared with other ones which r nice but they lack a lot of space.i just want him to be in a very nice environment as well as have a gud education.
    My problem is that we decided to put him there and for primary we'll shift him to esf.but some pple r advising us not to do so as he'll not be able to cope as their curriculum is diff and that esf also might not take him because they r only affiliated to certain schools.
    please help?did any1 have any prob?
    Last edited by mansha; 11-18-2007 at 05:31 PM.

joannek is offline Registered User
    if you're thinking of esf for primary, have you considered highgate? it's very spacious, student:teacher ratio very high, and good chance of esf.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    ESF has no affiltration with any kindergarten, except it's own.

And even then attending an ESF kindergarten only gives you priority for ESF schools run by the ESF educational services, e.g. Discovery College, Renaissance College.
    It gives you some priority for the original ESF schools but not that high of a priority.....children with siblings in the school, children with english as only first language etc. will have a higher priority.

So technically regardless of what kindergarten your child enters their priority will be the same as any other child applying for P1 at an ESF school on KS side. ESF primary schools are not affilitrated with any non-esf kindergartens! And attending an ESF kindergarten does not give you highest priority for an original ESF school (only an esf educational services school).
    If you are worried check out the ESF website, www.esf.edu.hk and they will tell you their priority.

But if a kindergarten tells you your child has a better chance of getting into ESF if they go to a particular kindergarten, it's not true! The interviews for ESF do not test children on their academic standards, what car their parents drive, or their Father's profession- they test their ability to understand and communicate in English.

Children who speak only English as a first language have priority for ESF; as do those with a sibling already at the school; as do those whose parents attended an ESF school; and then those who attended an ESF kindergarten.

Hope that helps! If you have any questions I would consider contacting ESF directly.

bab
    bab is offline Registered User
    Hi
    I am a mom...have two sons aged 4yrs9mts and the other 2yrs6mts, am living on HK island.....very happy with the school here, but we are planning to move to Tung Chung.......dont know which school to put kiddos in.....I have seen the 2 schools: Greenfields(Carribean coast) and Sun Island(near la rossa) personally.....wasnt very impressed with either......the fee too is majorly different.......please assist
    babs

Hi- I also wouldn't choose either of those schools in Tung Chung! How about thinking about kindergartens in Discovery Bay, is just 15-20 mins by bus from TC.

mansha is offline Registered User
    thanx bekyboo, i think thats the best way to just contact esf directly.
    thanx again.