Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Miscarriage

ttc2ndbaby is offline Registered User

Miscarriage

Hi, im new to the forums. Ive been trying to conceive my second baby and quit the pill and immediately fell pregnant. I felt so lucky. I went in for my checkup last week(10 weeks pregnant) only to find out the baby never grew past 7 weeks and had no heartbeat. Im truly devastated. Im waiting to miscarry naturally but there is no sign of that happening. Im going to wait another week and if i dont miscarry i will opt for a D&C. Anybody been through anything like this?

turtle is offline Registered User
    I have been in your situation and am so so sorry for you. Please try to stay positive, at least you know you can get pregnant and in all likelihood everything should be fine next time. It is very likely the baby was chromosomally abnormal and this was your body's way of telling you that something wasn't right. I am truly sorry for what you are feeling right now, hang in there and before you know it you will be posting happier messages onto this website.

sky123 is offline Registered User
    It happens quite often. I know lots of friends and relatives who have had miscarriages. I have just had my second miscarriage tho' I've had a son in between. I think a miscarriage is of course a sad event but I guess these things happen for a reason - pregnancy being so complex, a multitude of things can go wrong - we are already lucky to have had one successful pregnancy. I have PCOS so just have to make sure I see the DR earlier in my pregnancy next time to make sure I get progesterone supplements to try and avoid another miscarriage. Just bought loads of pregnancy strips from the internet.

Don't be too upset.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    My fourth pregnancy ended in a very similar way to yours. I had a spot of bleeding at nine weeks and when the doctor scanned the baby he could find no heartbeat and it was only the size a seven week baby should be. Because I have a heart condition it was decided that it was much less strain on my body to allow the baby to pass without intervention. The following two weeks were very difficult and sad.

I found the isolation and the lack of outward symptoms difficult. Only the people I told knew about my situation. People I knew slightly would ask me how I was and I’d want to scream in reply but ended up saying fine and trying to get away.

I didn’t realize that miscarrying was so common. But once I felt I could handle a conversation and started to tell people I was amazed how many others had also suffered such a lost. I think it is something that we don’t want to talk about until we know that the other person understands exactly what we are going through.

One of the things that helped me was mourning my little one and realizing that it is appropriate to feel sad when a sad thing has happened. My miscarriage happened in early December and I really never managed the holiday sprit that year. Another thing that helped me was the fact that that everyone in the family was upset together – my children were older (aged 12 to 6) and so understood somewhat but even the extended family’s sorrow helped.

I also found my next pregnancy quite difficult as I was always worried about history repeating itself. My doctor’s understanding was very important to me. I especially appreciated him seeing me at 10 minutes notice when I had spotting at twelve weeks with my next baby.

Very best wishes,
    Barb

Hi girls, thanks for your words of support. Ive decided to go in for a D&C. I think the wait of fully miscarrying is quite difficult and i want to start fresh. Anybody had a D&C before? What can i expect to feel after the procedure? a lot of pain?

sky123 is offline Registered User
    I had a D&C the first time. It was OK didn't feel any pain or anything afterwards just felt groggy. They make you stay a while at the hospital but you come out the same day. I think there was a bit of bleeding like a period but that was about it. Can't remember but they may have given me painkillers but I don't remember being in any pain. Don't worry.

LdeJ is offline Registered User
    Sorry to hear this ttc2ndbaby. I had a D&C just 3 weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I expected. I had it done by a top male gynae at Matilda. It was very quick and I was only under general anesthetic for 15 mins. I had very little bleeding afterwards and no pain at all. I left the hospital about 2 hrs after and have had no problems since. However, my first menstruation since the D&C has been very heavy, more than usual, so perhaps watch out for this.
    Not sure if we can post mobile numbers on this forum, but I am happy to chat with you over the phone if you want.

Wishing you well.

Hi girls went to see the docs today and he just double confirmed that i did miscarry and we are going in for a D&C this weekend. Im really nervous but just hoping for the best.
    LdeJ am sending you a PM, please check it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast