Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Long-Haul flight at 5/6 weeks

UKlady is offline Registered User

Long-Haul flight at 5/6 weeks

Hi ladies,

I can't actually believe I'm writing here - I just got my BFP yesterday and I think I'm still in shock! Couldn't be happier though!

Anyway, I'm really worried about something - On Sunday I'm due to fly to Paris for work, flying back to Hong Kong on Wednesday. My company wasn't feeling generous so I'm flying economy class. I'm really worried about taking 2 long-haul flights at such an early stage of the pregnancy, especially as I have PCOS and am therefore at a higher risk of miscarriage. I'm also concerned about the risk of DVT.

Added to this, between now and Christmas I'm also flying to Japan and Australia! I would love to cancel this trip to Paris but really don't know how I could explain it to my boss without telling him I'm pregnant, which I really don't want to do yet.

Do any of you have experience of flying a lot during your first trimester, or have any advice on what to do?? I'm really stressed about this!

thanks for any help you can give me,

UK Lady

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Have you been to see a Doctor yet? If you are worried about how existing medical conditions might impact on your pregnancy when flying long haul you should talk to your Dr. and see what they advise.
    You may have no other choice than to tell your boss, if you are advised not to fly.
    Many people fly when pregnant and have no problems, but I think each woman and each pregnancy is different and it's important to talk to a Dr.

KKKK is offline Registered User
    It's a really tough one and sadly I can't give you the answer. I just had the same thing I was due to fly HK-london week 5, then London-USA week week 9, then USA-London week 10 and finally London - HK week eleven - I've done 3 of those flights now and only have the London - Hk one to go - thankfully everything was OK so far but I've still got one to go I'm particularly worried abpout this one as it is gettong close to the time I miscarried before at 12 weeks (nothing to do with flying).

Hope all goes OK for you.

Kate xxx

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    I flew at 9 weeks to Australia and back. My doctor said it was fine and suggested that I wear the flight socks, as she did mention pregnant women have a higher chance of DVT. So I wore the flight socks, drank plenty of water on the flight and I was fine.

If you haven't seen your doctor yet, is it possible to get in and see them before you go? It might ease your mind having a doctor's opinion on whether you should travel or not.

Paddles is offline Registered User
    I've flown a few times (4 hour flights) in the early stages and my doctor recommended that I take aspirin, 1 every day for 2 days leading up to flying and then 1 the day after. In the end he actually gave me a subscription for a drug that I can't remember the name of but can check for you which is a blood thinner - I have twins so my risk is a little higher than yours. He also said I should wear flight support stockings (available in Watsons).

i'm going to the UK next week and will be 11 weeks, he's not that happy about it but he said my risk is actually no greater to go now than to go in another few weeks time.

UKlady is offline Registered User
    Hi again,

thanks so much for all your replies. I just spoke to my doctor and she said she's not happy for me to fly at all until she's heard the heartbeat in a couple of weeks' time. So it looks like I'm going to have to have a difficult conversation with my boss today, as that also means I won't be able to go to Japan, where I'm supposed to be organising a party!
    I think maybe my doctor is being especially cautious as I have gone through a lot of fertility treatment to get this far. At the end of the day I'm happy to do what she says if it increases the likelihood of a successful pregnancy.
    Good luck to all of you with your pregnancies and thanks again for all your advice!

UK Lady

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    Hi UK Lady,

I'm so glad you were able to speak to your doctor!

I hope the discussion with your boss goes well. I'm sure they will understand, at the end of the day you have to look after the best interests of your bump and they can't argue with doctor's advice!

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy too.

Bel

KKKK is offline Registered User
    As an add on to what I said before - make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get over Jet lag - I fly a lot and never really understand the fuss that people make about jet lag but this time it has really hit me - although I flew back from the states to london on Monday I reckon I am only just getting over the jet lag today (friday) and monday tuesday wednesday killed me. I am not looking forward to flying back to HK next week when I feel I'm only just getting over this jet lag.