Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

how to calculate day off for maid

cybabe is offline Registered User

how to calculate day off for maid

Hi

Me and my hubby plan to going back to UK for xmas and we bought our maid a ticket for her going back to Philippine as well. Since she just start to work for us and she told me that willing to take her annual leave to cover that period of time. I'm wondering how to calculate it any idea?

She will leave HK on 21 Dec be back on 3 jan. In xmas time i know there is 2 public holidays and new year 1 day in jan as well if she use annual leave to cover i still have to pay her full month salary right ?

I know sunday is not count as annual leave but just dont have idea if she havent work for us for 3 months how to deal with the public holiday like xmas .

1/3J is offline Registered User
    During the period from 21st Dec to 3rd Jan, your helper is entitled to:
    (1) 2 rest days and
    (2) 2 Statutory Holiday : (i) Winter Solstice (22nd Dec) or Christmas Day, at your choice; and (ii) 1st Jan. (note 26th Dec is not a statutory holiday under the Employment Ordinance).
    Employee is only entitled to paid Statutory Holiday after working for 3 months.

Strictly speaking employee is only entitled to take annual leave after one year of service. In practice many employers are generous in letting the employee take annual leave in the 1st year.

By law an employee is entitled to 7 days annual leave in the 1st year of employment. You may agree to grant her more, but not less. Assuming she is only entitled to 7 days annual leave, then for the 13 days period you mentioned, it will be:
    (1) 2 rest days (paid);
    (2) 2 Statutory Holiday (unpaid);
    (3) 7 annual leave days (paid – and she would have exhausted her statutory annual leave entitlement)
    (4) For the remaining 2 days, you may agree with her to treat them as unpaid leave, or advanced rest day (so that she will work for you on two other Sunday), or substitution of other two statutory holidays (e.g. Lunar New Year Day/2nd Day of Lunar New Year, i.e. 7th/8th Feb)

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Lgeally you don't have to give helper holidays if she hasn't worked for you for three months but I don't know anyone who would be so mean as to not give the helper the holiday, no matter how long or short they have had them!

Two days salary for a helper is very little, would it be such a burden just to pay a months salary?

cybabe is offline Registered User
    Bekyboo44

U are right as i just dont have any idea how to calculate the full xmas time off TOTAL 13 DAYS for the maid only . We bought her ticket back home for xmas i guess we treat her not bad though......and besides after i read the reply so complicate to calculate the rest . I may just count her 7days off annual leave instead.