Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Baby boy- circumcision?

Matty is offline Registered User
    Hi Jane, Been meaning to call you!
    Still have that carry bed if you need it.

There is an interesting article on this site by Yvonne Heavyside.
    Worth a read.
    Also some other very emotional threads from memory if you do a search.

I have strong opinions on the subject, don't do it unless you have to!

Tomi is offline Registered User
    Hi, we are having a baby boy due end of Jan 08. The question of
    circumcision has been on our minds since we found out we're having a boy at 22 weeks.

Case for circumcision: health reasons (debatable), daddy had it done, catholic grandparents, better to get it done as a newborn, is it the norm?

Case aganist circumcision: no defined health risk, painful for the baby*, most of our friends back in Aus did NOT have their sons circumcised.

(* a friend's dad is a doctor who practised circumcision. He is now retired and adviced us not to do this to our babies because the baby does feel the pain.)

Below is a good article written by a mid-wife on this topic:
    http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby...sion-to-make?/

It is a tough decision on boy's anatomy - so I delegated this to the daddy. I don't know what it feels like...from the last i hear, he is leaning towards NO CIRUMCISION.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    It is a tough decision on boy's anatomy - so I delegated this to the daddy.
    It is a tough decision – so why not leave it to your son (whose body it is) rather than the father?

It is a procedure that you can have at any time in your life. It isn’t necessary to make the decision and carry it out while your son is a baby. I know of two friends who had the operation as adults because they wanted it (both for religious reasons).

After all your can’t have an operation to give your foreskin back if when you grow up you ***cide you’d rather not be circumcised. And if you don't think that could happened -read about it at NORM, National Organization of Restoring Men, http://www.norm.org/

carang is offline Registered User
    it didn't even enter our minds to have it done. i wasn't concerned with what trends were or anything, and it wasn't a religious thing either.

i just couldn't imagine putting a helpless newborn through it, especially if it isn't necessary for a happy life.

i have other friends though that have chosen to have it done.

it's a very personal decision that only you and your husband can make.

good luck!

ashlea is offline Registered User
    I think all the posts on this are from women so I thought I would put a man's point of view (Ashlea is my baby's name - I am Hullexile on geoexpat).

I was circumcised when a baby no for religious reasons and as far as I am aware not for health reasons either.

I have read stuff on how it causes psychological harm due to not being complete. All I can say is that I have never experienced that, quite happy with what I've got. Secondly it causes a lot of pain - well I don't remember the experience but I don't seem to be traumatised by it. We had our baby daughter's ears pierced at birth, probably just as painful. Thirdly it causes sexual problems due to insensitivity - well I do take longer than average to climax but most women don't complain about that.

A final point, most women seem to find a circumcised member more aesthetically pleasing, you don't find many dildos looking like uncircumcised penises.

Its up to you obviously but all I am saying is that I would not put too much weight on all the horror stories and I doubt your son will grow up hating you for doing it (or not).

Clowe is offline Registered User
    Hi Ashlea (or Hullexile)

I laughed when reading your message, not because circumcision is a laughing matter but because I appreciated the truth in what you said. Thanks for giving us a man's perspective.

My husband is Canadian and circumsized and suffice to say I agree with all of your comments. We've having a son in April 08 (our first) and we plan to have him circumsized. Where I come from (the US) and in Canada, this is very common for hygiene reasons. It makes perfect sense to me that foreskin can trap bacteria and be the cause of hygiene/health issues later in life. As for the stuff you hear about the psychological damage (feeling a part of him missing), I have yet to hear a man complain about that. And most guys I knew growing up (friends, lovers, family) were circumsized and perfectly complete and normal in every way.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    It was not my intention to suggest that psychological problems were a likely outcome from circumcision but a possibility – even if very rare.

I’m not surprised that people haven’t heard men complain about this side of circumcision and your reply is exactly the reason why. Who would wish to bring up a subject where you are likely to be ridiculed and assumed to be less of a man? I know quite a lot of men and some every well but only one well enough to discuss such intimate personal details with. I don’t think I could even bring this subject up with my brother.

Would you be so quick to dismiss a mother’s feelings that she felt a failure because her birth had ended in a cesarean?

JANE892 is offline Registered User
    Wow I certainly got some great replies. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
    I've done some reasearch and it seems that the trend to do this in Australia is decreasing at an astonishing rate...something like only 10% of boys are done (QLD is the state with the most boys done being 20%). It's important to me that my son looks like his friends...I think thats important to kids.
    My husband is still very concerned about the hygiene factor...but really it shouldn't be an issue these days...
    I guess I'm just happy to let my son (if I even have a boy) make up his own mind about his own body... or if there is a medical reason he needs it done then of course I wouldn't object if and when the time came.
    I think I've come to my decision but my husband is still on the fence. So we'll see.....
    but thanks everyone- all your replies have really helped me.
    Good luck to anyone else making the same decision!
    Jane

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast