Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Virtually non existent sperm = baby dilemma

Babygap2 is offline Registered User

Virtually non existent sperm = baby dilemma

Hello wise counsel, we hope you can offer some guidance, as we've had some bad news re our chances of conception.

We went to see Dr Lucy Lord a few months back after 6+ months of trying without success (we're both in our early 30's). It turns out my wife has polycistic ovaries and to make matters worse my sperm count didn't register when tested twice. Following a testicular biopsy, they found a few sperm, but very low in numbers - a condition with a delightful name of 'azoospermia'. Basically we've been told that the only chance for a biological conception now is IVF/ICSI, reliant on me having another testicular biopsy on the day my wife is egg ready, and the fertility people being able to harvest something useful from my biopsy. All in all, a real long shot.

We are going through all the usual "why us" questions but we think it makes sense to give this route one chance, before we consider donor AI. Our big question right now is do we stay in HK (our preference) or go to Oz, England or elsewhere to go through this process, ie the IVF and potentially donor treatments?

Does anyone have experience of this rather rare situation here? Any advice you can offer would be very welcome, especially if you know of anyone who has dealt with this successfully in HK.

Many thanks

tinks is offline Registered User

Hi Babygap, I'm sorry to hear of your recent news. I don't have an experience of your condition but I didn't just want to read and run.

I have had two lots of IVF, one in the UK and one in HK (we moved here after our first tx). I had a BFN from my tx in the UK but BFP after tx here in HK, however, I miscarried at 7 weeks. The facilities in the UK for IVF are top notch and there are lots of clinics to chose from and ones that do have a great deal of experience in male factor infertility. However, I have also found treatment in HK to be a positive experience. They have very good facitlites at the IVF Centre at the HK Sanitarium and the cost is similar to the UK. I am with Dr Ho who has a clinic in Central. He's very experienced in IVF/ICSI. From my experience, any kind of fertility treatment can be very stressful. If you are in a strange country it could potentially add to the stress, not to mention all the travelling that would be involved.

Good luck with your decision. PM me if you want any further info.

Tinks

joannek is offline Registered User

sorry to hear about what you're going thru. you guys are still at your early 30s, you still have time.

altho i don't have any experience like yours. i was diagnosed as infertile (after trying for 3 yrs!) i finally went to Grame Stuart Bradshaw at IMI for detoxification; chinese herbs (for 2 yrs) to strengthen the kidneys. will you try alternate medicine? sometimes chinese herbs, homeopath or acupuncture can help. i know a lot of couples have succeeded with chinese herbs. i know of one very popular chinese TCM in causeway. but he's all chinese & you guys have to drink that yucky chinese concoction for at least 6 mths. or you can try Graeme Stuart bradshaw at IMI.

madaboutCows is offline Registered User

I'm really sorry to hear about your news!!! I do however, have a friend in the UK who's husband has the very same diagnosis and funnily enough my friend has polycystic ovaries too.

They decided not to do ICSI in the UK and opted for Cape Town South Africa instead. There, her husband underwent the biopsy you mentioned and they conceived twins on their very first cycle. Unfortunately, one of the babies died very early in the pregnancy, but they went on to have a healthy son who is now 2 and a half. They are now nearly 30weeks pregnant with their second baby after one unsuccessful frozen cycle in between and couldn't be happier.

Good luck!!!!

Babygap is offline Registered User

Hi all, thanks for so many useful responses so quickly. Madaboutcows, your message certainly gives us hope. The doctor so far has made us feel that success is a very unlikely outcome, so it's great to know it can be done.We were interested to hear your friends went to South Africa - was there any particular reason for this?

Thanks Joannek for tips on Chinese Medicine, I have certainly wondered about this and will look into it further. And Tinks,good to know HK is as good as UK for IVF too.

Thank you, we'll see what the next doctors appointment brings...

madaboutCows is offline Registered User

Hi Babygap2 ..... They chose to have their treatment in South Africa for a few reasons. The fact that the clinics are so relaxed over there put my friend and her husband immediately at ease. Then obviously because of the price, from what I am aware it is alot cheaper than either the UK or HK and also because of the fact that they let you transfer back 3 embryos, rather than two. (Although I think they do this in HK too)

Let me know if you need more information. I can even put you in email contact with my friend if you PM me. I know how good it is to talk to someone who's been through the same experience.

Please stay positive, there's so much hope!!!!

lenahk is offline Registered User

Hi Babygap2

I have no experience with the biopsy, but we did ICSI here in HK. My Dr (Alex Doo) mentioned ICSI is possible with just a few sperm cells - he once gave the example of a husband who had less than 10 sperm cells and the couple now have 2 healthy kids! Our one 'fresh' cycle resulted in a 90% fertilization rate and we have one baby boy, plus two more on the way - all from one 'batch'... so don't give up hope just yet!

I have been very impressed with the care here in HK - yes it is expensive and some of the Dr's here are very busy, but the IVF centre in HK Sanatorium has been so helpful, and successful (in our case at least). Also, they would allow you to transfer 3 embryo's if that is what you want.

If you would want to do it somewhere else, you have to consider 'moving' there for at least a month - IVF is a very time consuming process.

Let me know if you require additional information - good luck!

Babygap is offline Registered User

Lenahk, thanks for your story, it certainly gives us some encouragement and I'm pleased to hear the HK experience was so positive.

We have our first appointment on Friday with Dr Lord, so may seek some more advice from you after we've had the consultation.

thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast