Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Acid reflux and Losec

Ceciluci is offline Registered User

Acid reflux and Losec

Hello everybody,

Our daughter who is 2 months old has just been prescribed Losec for her acid reflux. It's only been a few days, but we are thrilled that it seems to be working. Our only problem is that it is a real trouble to administer it to her. It tastes awful, and she really does not like it. We give it to her morning and night in form of a half crushed tablet mixed with a bit of milk.

Does anybody have any good ideas of how to administer it to her in a smarter way, e.g mixed with something that diminish or at least minimize the bad taste?

Any good ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards
    Cecilie

Yan
    Yan is offline Registered User

what about crush to more powder form, stew into the warm water, make to liquid form, and pour in the injection tube, and inject to baby month.

DoraT is offline Registered User

One way to deal with terrible medicine is to find way NOT to take them. You may clarify with your doc whether they are just suspecting or is that confirmed scientifically.
    One of my friend just switch her formula and get rid of both the regurgitation and the losec.

Thanks Yan, but this is this what I am doing, but it still taste terrible.

DoraT, I agree, not taking the medication all together would be optimal. I am breastfeeding my daughter, so switching to a different formula is not a choice for me.

Kind regards
    Cecilie

Matty is offline Registered User

Could your DR not prescibe you a liquid form?
    My son was on a liquid form of Zantac, which though it didn't taste great, my son didn't seem to mind the taste.

DoraT, there is a massive difference between a baby that suffers from ACID REFLUX and one that is just vomiting alot.
    Anyone who has lived with a baby that screams in agony because their Oesophagus is being burned by stomach acid, knows the difference these medications can make.

spockey is offline Registered User

Ceciluci
    We used a special formula from Karicare (Cow & Gate as it is known here) for AR. It helped our bub a lot on top of medication. I didn't use Losec though because an adult with AR, I know it's a pretty full on med and has a pretty yucky flavour.

We combined mylanta + An AR formula. This helped our bub until he outgrew it altogether. I found that bub was more co-operative with Mylanta than anything else we tried.

Karicare worked for us. The only inconveniece which I didn't mind was that I had to have my dad send them from Oz as they don't have it here in HK... well, we never found them.

We also did the usual stuff... u know, prop him upright after a meal, we place books until the cot matress and matress in the Bugaboo so that it's elevated and sloping down.... JUST TO AVOID any other medication. Bub slept in a sloping bed/pram position until he outgrew it.

Good Luck! I know what it's like to live with a screaming baby because of AR but remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel as your bub will outgrow it.

Cheers!

Dear Matty and Spockey,

Thanks so much for your replies, really appreciate it.

Desperately trying to help our daughter, we started giving her a hypoallergenic formula yesterday. It's from Cow & Gate, and called Pepti Junior (extensively hydrolyzed), and so far it actually seems to make a difference, although I know it's probably too early to say. We are continuing with the Losec for just a few more days, but ideally I want to get rid of it as soon as possible. Maybe I should ask the doctor about the Mylanta? We have been using Gaviscon, which I believe is similar?

We are also placing books under her crib, but thanks for the advice on that one too.

Kind regards
    Cecilie