Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

weaning bottle and formula

h2o
    h2o is offline Registered User

weaning bottle and formula

Hi,my baby is on bf since his birth and now he is 18m.I am trying to wean him.finding it very hard.
    is there any weaning bottles and formula which i can give him.
    which formula do u use...all the tips will be helpful.
    thanks

miaka is offline Registered User
    have you tried pumping breastmilk and giving it to him in a bottle? then slowly switch from BM to formula. my baby likes the avent bottles. but it depends on your baby. maybe even try a sippy cup instead of a bottle.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    As your baby is already 18 months old why not skip the formula and bottle stage and go straight to fresh milk in a cup?

This will save you the time later to wean from formula to fresh milk and to wean from a bottle to a cup.

Most babies can use a cup from about 8 or 9 months old so an 18 month old should have no problems.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    To wean a baby who is 18 months you may not need to go to bottles at all. All you may need to do is stop offering the breast. "Don't offer, don't refuse" may work for you. Or, learn to substitute a cup of water, juice or cow's milk (if tolerated), or solid food, for the baby or toddler's least important feeding.

Sometimes Dad (or another relative) can help by taking the baby to the kitchen for a good breakfast--Daddy style. This can become a special time for both of them. (And you get some extra sleep!) For mealtime feeds, try to offer food first, with a short session at the breast for later. Avoid sitting down in your special favourite "nursing chair." If your child won't nap without breastfeeding, sometimes a car ride or a walk in the pushchair will get him or her to sleep.

The nighttime feeding is usually the last to go. Make a bedtime routine not centered around breastfeeding. A good book or two will eventually become more important than a long session at the breast. Your child may agree to rest his head on your breast instead of feeding. Talk to your child about what's going on. He may understand more than you think.

A lot of extra love and attention in other forms will be needed now. Try getting out more, to the playground, a friend's house, shopping, museums, anything your child will be distracted with and stimulated by. Read stories, rub or scratch their little back, sing and dance. It's a whole new stage in your growing child's life. You will still be needed, just in different ways.

A useful resource is The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning by Kathleen Huggins and Linda Ziedrich. This book is available in the LLL-HK library. Contact Maggie Holmes at [email protected] or 2817-7475 to borrow the book.

Weaning and how to do it is a favourite subject at our meetings. Please feel feel to join one of our gatherings. The next one is tomorrow afternoon at Starbucks in Alexandar House, Central from 2:30 pm. Details of all our meetings are available at http://www.lllhk.org/Meetings.html

Best wishes,
    SARAH

h2o
    h2o is offline Registered User
    Yes i hav tried pumping milk and i too used avent bottle but he did not like them.
    he is using the cup but only for water and juices whenever i try to give him milk he rejects it(may be due to the smell....i dont know)
    thanks all for sharing ur experiences...
    sarah i would love to join the gathering on 30th which is in festival walk.
    friends,more suggests and exprencies are always welcome...please do write if u have any
    thanks