Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Flying with Bugaboo

Vix
    Vix is offline Registered User

Flying with Bugaboo

Hi there,

We're planning to take our Bugaboo Gecko back to the UK at Christmas. I have been told by the airline that it'll need to be checked-in as it is too big for the overhead lockers.

I wondered if anyone had checked-in their Bugaboo (plus Maxicosi carseat) and how they had avoided it getting damaged and prevented the chassi from opening etc. I know you can buy a travelling bag, but I am loath to spend the money for just a one-time use.

I am thinking of bubble-wrapping it and securing the chassi with string or something. Any advice ?

Vix

PS. Also, where can I buy bubble wrap etc ?!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Hi I have flown with the bugaboo chameleon and maxi cosi car seat, i gate-check it without any 'protection' and it has always been fine. The stroller is returned to you right when you get off the plane. I have flown Cathay Pacific, Air Canada and WestJet. Bubble wrap can be purchased on Jervois st. in Sheung Wan.

Vix
    Thanks for your reply MilkMonster. We're flying with Air New Zealand and they've told me it has to all go into the hold as they have no room for it in the cabin. I'm worried about rough handling by baggage handlers. Think I'll be buying some bubble wrap !

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i have the bugaboo travel bag which you are welcome to borrow if you like. I only take my maclaren fold up stroller with me these days so its no problem at all. send me a PM if you are interested

Vix
    Thanks for your very kind offer aussie mum, but it looks like this will either be an extended visit home or a one-way trip, so I wouldn't be able to return it.

Someone mentioned that their airline wrapped their stroller in a big plastic bag at Airport Express. Anyone else received this service ? Do all airlines do it ?

Vix

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    Please don't bank on getting your buggy back at the gate at LHR, even if you gate check it in HK. Heathrow baggage handlers usually refuse to handle anything other than umbrella strollers at the gate. So it might be wise to bring a back-up sling or something. It can be a long walk struggle with hand luggage and carrying a baby without a sling or Baby Bjorn etc.