Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Loans taken by helpers

1. Loans taken by helpers

We are in the process of hiring a full time helper. Have come across two helpers whose ex-employers told me that the main reason why they are not renewing the helper's contract is that the helper has borrowed money from money lender and has been unable to repay her loan. In one case the ex-employer had himself received calls from the money lender and was upset about it.

I would like to know if there is any liability on the employer if the helper gets into such financial trouble besides just the hassle to the employer.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    From what i understand there should not be any liability on the employer. but you might get into cases where you feel sorry for them and start cleaning up their messes or borrowing to them, or repaying for them just to stop the nuisance.
    personally, we've also been against any borrowing and have terminated one helper before due to that. i know families who does not think that is a big deal tho.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    I also had one helper quit because she lent money which was not be paid back and then borrowed money and could not repay it and under the pressure of it, she broke her contract and left Hong Kong.

The helper we had after her also broke her contract because (she said) her mother had become very ill (heart problem) and she did not know how long she would have to care for her back in the Philippines. But later another helper in my building kept telling me that my former helper had left debts behind. So, I'll never know if her mother was ill or if it was scarpering from debt.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I don't think there's any liability on you to pay your helper's debts, but it won't be very pleasant to have to deal with the debt collection agents that might turn up at your flat if your helper cannot repay.

anson.maid is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

if your helper not pay money lender call her friend who help her to take money because to take money from lender also not easey 1. they need two people for approvel there passport number ID copy and Contract copy and your house telphone number if the person fail to pay first lender call in your house secound they call there two more friend house as well so many employer get into serious problem because lender call at evening time actully money lender not the one who call they give to sum claim group to call which they use cross words so my suggestion is till your maid stay with you take her passport and contract paper this is the best way...
    Last edited by anson.maid; 11-29-2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: mis speling