Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

night nursing

Rochut is offline Registered User
    Big Wave Bay

night nursing

My daughter is now 11.5 weeks old. I am exclusively breastfeeding her. For the last couple of weeks, her sleeping/nursing pattern has been that she will sleep for about 3.5-5 hours the first time she goes to bed in the evening. Following that, she will wake up nearly every hour or hour and a half until morning. This schedule is killing me! When she nurses at night, the feeds are very short, less than 5 minutes, only on one side, and she immediately falls back to sleep. In contrast, during the day, she feeds from both breasts, for about 10-15 minutes per side. I'm wondering if perhaps she's not hungry at night, and I am getting her out of her crib/swaddle unneccesarily, if I could get her to keep sleeping somehow, or if there is anything I could do differently to help her to sleep for longer (and us, too!)
    Thanks for any advice/thoughts on this, sorry for the long post!

AG2007 is offline Registered User
    Tung Chung
    If your baby is managing to feed every 3.5-5 hrs, then the hourly or half-hourly wakes may not be due to hunger. If she roots for the breast, its only natural they do so. Try not feeding her every time she wakes - perhaps every other time. Also if she is waking up so often could it be something not right in her sleeping surrounding which is making her wake up so often?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    What about expressing a bottle of breast milk and dream feeding as much as she willl take at 10pm? That might help her go through for at least one more long stretch