Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Night Nappy

cemily is offline Registered User

Night Nappy

What is a "normal" age to stop night nappy?

Is it absolutely nec to wake the child and wee the child at 12 midnight during the process so he won't wet the bed? How long (weeks or months?) should this 12 midnight "wake up and wee' ritual last?

It is absolutely nec to reduce water intake at the beginning to help "weane" the night nappy?

Tks

Rgds

e

capital is offline Banned

I think it depends on the child. My first day trained at 2 years and 7 months and within a few days refused to wear diaper at night so we went to underware. He would wet the bed a couple of times/week. I never got him up to pee as he tended to wet the bed early am, around 5-6 so I didn't think it would help. Now more than a year later he occasionally wets the bed, usually if he is really tired and sleepers longer or deeper than usual. He may go a few weeks without wetting at all, then wet a day or 2 in a row.

I never with held water as I don't think it would work. They wet the bed, not because they drank too much, but because they don't wake up to pee. I remember my mother doing that to me and I would be dying of thirst and not allowed to have anything until morning. I think it is cruel.

Some children will wet the bed for years, very normal.

I use a soaker pad (like what you would use at the hospital) and place it on the sheet, that way when he does wet, I usually only have to wash that instead of all the bedding.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I don’t know what the normal age to stop a night nappy is but my girls managed it between two and three years and my boys around four years old.

I found that the temperature of the bed room made a big difference to the boys. If they got cold then they’d wet the bed. So it was much more of a problem in the winter than in the summer.

I also found that a nappy was enough to keep that part of their body warm even if they threw the covers off. So I had the choice of a dry nappy or a wet bed. Being lazy I stuck with a dry nappy for months rather than risk having to get up and change the bed in the middle of the night. I managed to keep reusing the dry nappy by sticking it together with sellotape when the sticky tabs lost their stickiness. Both boys left nappies behind before they were five years old.

I have a friend who told me she wet the bed until she was at senior school (about 11 years old) but in those days parents didn’t worry as much as now about such things and her mother never even took her to the doctor about it.