Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

C-section wound recovery

kellyst is offline Registered User

C-section wound recovery

would like to get advice on how to heal a C-section wound.

i had a first C-section wound, that is very thick (with what they called extra flesh, so it kind of looks and feels like a small worm) worst part is it still itches now after two years.

i'm going to have my second in a few days, also a c-section. have gotten suggestions to stay off too much protein after the surgery (a mth? a week?) some has said that i probably ate 'too well' after the surgery last time so extra flesh grew.

i've heard people who has c-section but no pain nor itches afterwards at all. my last recovery wasn't all that smooth so would like to ask for advice on what to note and what to avoid to make it a bit nicer, especially for the long term.

lenahk is offline Registered User
    Hi Kelly - I have the same problem, my scar still itches and looks awful... and everyone else tells me their c-section scar is hardly visible anymore!

Am pregnant now and having this scar repaired would be one of the reasons to opt for a c-section again. This time, I will definitely use the silicone patches to reduce the scarring and probably take it a little easier for the first few weeks (although I have no idea yet how to do that with a toddler and newborns).

good luck with the delivery!

capital is offline Banned
    The level of scarring you have really depends on 2 factors, first your own body, some poeple scar more than others, and secondly on the person who sewed you up and how good they can sew, some dr's are better than other. Infections can make a scar worse too, so if you ended up with an infection last time that could have done it. The protien thing doesn't make sense.People with very poor protein intake with have much more difficulty with wound healing. I have never heard of an excess of protein causeing scarring. The healthier you eat, the healthier you will be. The only thing that I have heard that can have some benefit to scarring is vit E. Some people take vit E capsules (that are meant to be injested) but instead break them open and rub into a scar. I don't know about the silicone idea, I haven't heard of that, but am interested in hearing more .

It is not uncommon for a scar to feel itchy, or have a lack of feeling, depends on how well the nerve supply is.

Since you are having another c/s you can talk to your doctor about it and hopefully they can cut out the old scar and you can have a better scar this time.

capital is offline Banned
    As far as what to avoid, it is major surgery so best to avoid heavy lifting, vacuuming, lifting heavy groc bags, laundry the baby in the car seat, etc. for about 6 weeks.

Some people split the incision with a pillow when coughing, moving at first, roll onto your side to get out of bed, keep up good cirulation in your legs as you are more prone to blood clots in your legs from pregnancy, and lack of mobility after c/s, and watch for signs of infection

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    My doc recommended using this clear bandage that you can buy from Watsons. It took down the raised scar. I can't think of the name...but its not cheap. Ask watsons for a scar bandage type thing which is clear.

kara23 is offline Registered User
    I also had a thick scar from my 1st C-sect. and after 4 years it was still itchy. Then I had my 2nd C-sect, and my doc (diff from 1st delivery) sliced the old scar off, made a clean stitch and now 2 yrs later, I am still really proud of it. haha... and it has never been itchy like the first scar had. I think it depends on the skill of the doc and you also have to continuously put lotion on it to prevent it from drying out and thus becoming itchy.
    good luck!

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    I had my C section just 3 months ago - I used Contratubex and the silicone sheets but just didn't prevent the scar from developing into a red and raised "worm"........am surprised to hear from some that even after years, it still itches - mine certainly does now !!

arpana is offline Registered User
    the silicone sheets are known as 'cica - care' & is available at watsons. my doc had recommended the same to me to use for 6 weeks & i used it for about 3 weeks - my scar is very light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast