Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Help! Baby refuses to drink milk

limantari is offline Registered User
    Miaka, thanks for your advice.
    My baby actually drinks pumped breast milk. Since I am working now, I can not afford to nurse him. I just pump the milk daily, put into the bottle and ask my DH to feed him when I'm away.
    Since it's not formula, I dont think he feel full with it. He was fine a month ago. Since then he gradually refused to drink. Teething may be the closest possible reason he is now refusing his milk. But another problem is, now he refuses to wake up at night for feeding. He'll sleep for about 8-10 hrs at night and still refuses his morning milk.

eyt, the doctor said his weight is normal for his age now. however he concerns that if he keep on eating below his daily dosage, his weight may drop. So, we must watch his weight.
    He is a slim baby with moderate chubby face. He is now 7.2 Kg but he still looks very slim. My mother in law thinks that he is rather tall for his age. That may be the reason he looks slim even though his weight is still within normal range.

Other problem is once he sucks the bottle, we can not make any single noise. If he is spooked just with a little noise, he'll stop drinking. Because of this we have to switch on lullaby music for him during feeding to cover any background noise.
    Does anyone know if it is normal?

Thanks all for the supports!

arleneli is offline Registered User
    Hi limantari....

Have you check with your paeds? This kind of problem happens to a lot of babies. My daughter used to have the same problem (now she is 4). My paed advice was as long she is gaining weight, i shouldn't be worry. "forcing" your baby to take milk might frighten him/her. If he/she is not hungry then well what a waste... put down your milk bottle then try again in few hours. Of couse as a parent, we couldnt just relax. The worry that the baby wont grow/develop properly always bugs our mind. but really... dont worry... your baby WILL start liking milk again soon. Just PLS dont force him/her. dont make feeding time to be a "battle time". Your baby can sense your stress.
    Last edited by arleneli; 12-07-2007 at 03:58 PM.

akiwai is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I think your bb is doing just fine. There is no need to worry. Your bb knows when he is hungry and when he wants to be fed. Babies at abt that age will go through a short period when he/ she doesn't seem to be interested about his/ her feed, (whether bottle or breast!)

The baby is growing and gets more and more curious increasingly abt the sound, the sight and the touch of everything around him. He gets so excited abt the world around him, that feeding is comparatively less important. He wants to explore. Some babies who have slept thru the nite wakes up a few more times... you should be lucky, yours choose to explore at daytime. He was attracted to the TV because of the moving pictures and sound. You could do similar things for him, like a mobile, soft music, reading to him (actually just flipping the pages), etc.... they have similar effects too! As long as your baby is happy and smiling and communicating with you, he is doing perfectly fine. Trust them. You should still remember how he hungers and cried for milk during the first couple of months and nothing could stop him unless he got his bottle/ or bf.

As for teething. Different bb develops at different times. Some as early as 3-4 months, some start only at 10 months. Teething is also another reason why they refuse the bottle. You could ease his discomfort by giving him a chilled teething ring.

BB go thru different stages of their lives experiencing different things. It's part of growing up. Do not panic, but give them the chance to learn and grow! ^_^ I have two bb, the first one is 22 months and the second one is 6 months. They are so different in their feeding patterns. My no. 2 is going thru the stage too. She drinks only 5 times (5 oz or less) a day! However, she is happy, always turning to moving pictures, distracted easily by any sound around her, babbles sweet nothings..... I am happy!

I understand how you feel as I felt the same way when I had my bb here and my family and friends are overseas. However, I am glad I learnt and grew from the experience. Being a mother is a great responsibility and we want the best for our bb.

I hope I have been of some help to you.

Have fun and enjoy motherhood!!

eyt
    eyt is offline Registered User
    Hi again

Yes, I tend to agree with the others that you don't need to worry for your baby at this stage. It's not like he's not drinking at all so you shouldn't force him when he doesn't want to. He sounds like he's a happy baby and doing really well. My baby is fed on breastmilk (I work so have to pump too) and he's cut down on his consumption recently and only drinks between 20-24 oz a day which doesn't sound a lot for his weight (7.1kg) - he's lively and happy during the day so I'm not worried.

Of course, just watch that your baby is not losing weight.

limantari is offline Registered User
    Hi arleneli, akiwai, and eyt,

Thank you so much for the sharing, advices, and supports.
    Yes, generally my baby is very happy. He has been practicing turning over recently and is able to do so since last week. Now whenever we put him on our bed, he will happily turns over his body repeatedly.

eyt, I supposed your baby born around the same time like mine.
    My baby was born in mid July. Niice to know someone that can share the closest experience.

sophyaguilar is offline Registered User
    take him to a doctor asap! if your baby is not drinking for 9 or 10hrs, and then refuses to drink again, then he is in danger of getting dehydrated

miaka is offline Registered User
    oh i didn't realize ur baby was on BM. in that case, i agree w/ arleneli, akiwai, and eyt. also, sarah shares some good info on this new thread that may ease some of your worries: http://www.geobaby.com/forum/help-of...d-t122794.html

jxoxo is offline Registered User
    My son is only 3 month old and we have the same situation since this week. He started eating less (25 - 30 oz) than he used to take as an infant (30+ oz). Recently, he refused to nurse, esp in the morning. Now he takes only 20 - 25 oz daily. We also found out he is more concentrated when he is half asleep. that's why I have to wake him up in the middle of the night for a night feeding because he takes the most at that time. He is active, playful and full of energy. When will this stage over? Will he take more in the future? Thanks for any advice.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast