Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Help! Baby refuses to drink milk

jajacha is offline Registered User

Hi limantari,

How are you and the little one doing? For the past month I managed to get my son drink milk while watching cartoon on TV. But still each feeding is not smooth, sometimes it takes up to an hour to finish just 7oz of milk. In these 2 days this trick seems not working, he can barely finish half of 7oz and refuses to drink the remaining. My son is going to be 8 months next week. How much milk is your son drinking the whole day? I now feed my son milk 4 times a day (4am, 8am, 3pm, 7pm) plus 1 feeding of porridge for lunch (11am). Altogether he can drink an average of 25oz of milk each day. I am thinking of dropping the 4am feed coz' he seems waking up out of thirst instead of hunger. My maid told me he doesn't really want to drink the milk but rather drinks the water. But if I am to drop this early morning feeding I'm afraid that he's not drinking enough milk for the day. It really troubles me so I'm hoping you can share with me your experience. Really hope to hear from you soon.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

jajacha,

have you thought of getting your baby to 2 meals of solids a day instead of one? my bub, also like your baby, is going to be 8 months end of this week, and since 3 motnhs old, each milk feeding session is a battle. But now he is doing much better with the solids. He still wrestles with us during milk time, but at least he is feeding regularly at other meals. we also introduced finger foods to him ( finger biscuits with vitamins etc) and he loves it.

he doesn't drink as much milk as he should be, but I guess he will be moving on to more and more solids, and in a few more months time he will drop more of his milk feeds, so what I tell myself is that on the longer run, its more important to make each feeding session a happy experience for him, rather than to try and get as much food in him as possible now.

I don't know if this helps, but I am in your shoes and realised that I just have to let this go, otherwise I would be out of my mind totally !!!

Hi Konradsmom,

I am struggling over whether to feed my son one more time of solid during the day. You see if I feed him 2 times solid a day (lunch & dinner) then it only leaves him 2 times to drink milk (morning after wake-up & tea time in the afternoon). And if each milk feed he only drinks 7oz (at best) then it comes to only 14 oz of milk a day. Isn't it too little for a 8-month-old?

But thanks for your suggestion and if you don't mind could you share with me your feeding schedule for your son? Thanks.....

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

bub's schedule is like this:-

6:30 am - milk (6.5z)
    9 am (wake up) - milk (as much as he could drink, usually 2-3 oz and we don't force him)
    10:15 am - mashed fruit snack
    12:30 solid meal ( usually pureed congee+egg yolk+vegetable)
    3 pm - milk (6.5 oz)
    5:00 pm - fruit snack or biscuit
    7:00 pm - dinner solids

lastly, we try and give him some milk before bed time at 8:30 but usually he's not hungry enuf or sleepy enuf to drink it, and so we have to take the less desirable way - feed him at 12am.

This way we try and get hm 3 feeds a day. This scehdule was given to me by a very experienced confinement lady whom I took on for 2 weeks to act as nany for bub as he was sick before , and I find that this works quite well with him.

When you feed him at 12am I guess he "sleep drink" the milk right? My boy feels drowsy starting 8:30pm and by the time we make him sleep it'd be 9:00pm or a bit later. Then he can sleep until 4-5am (sometimes he wakes up at 3-4am) and that's when we feed him another milk. And recently he prefers to drink water instead of milk at this early morning feed. Since he's gonna be 8 months soon I'd rather put him on a regular sleep and feed schedule. If I am to feed him 2 times solid food a day, here's the schedule that I work out but really I'm not sure if it can be implemented smoothly:

4-5am: Feed water if he wakes up
    8am: Milk
    11am: Porridge
    3pm: Milk
    6pm: Porridge
    8-9pm: Milk

I also share your thinking that eventually my son is going to rely on solid food for nutrients whereby milk is as a supplement. But all the books tell you a baby must rely on milk as the main source of nutrient until at least one year of age. Because of this I have hesitation in feeding him more porridge and less milk.

My son in the past 2 days refused to drink milk from the bottle even if we played the cartoon to him. He simply won't suck the nipple. I have to pour out the milk into bowl and mix it with baby rice cereal and spoon feed him. I'm not sure if this right to do and I also worry he eats too much "solid". Anyone pls share your experience.

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Hi All,
    My son is 4.5 months (20 weeks). I was breast feeding up until about 2 weeks ago. I had to give up due to too many problems..not because I wanted to. Anyway..the bottle was meant to solve all my problems and make everything easier but things are now a complete nightmare.
    Every feed time is a battle. He simply will not drink. Even when I know he's hungry he won't drink. Sometimes I can sing to him or stare him in the eye and he's kind of half shocked or something and he might drink a bit. he continually turns his head away and cries when I try to put the teat back in.
    The only thing that works is to wait until its his nap time..put him in his cot..wait 10mins till he's basically asleep..then get him out and feed him. This is the only way he'll suck the bottle without a fuss.
    All up..in a 24 hour period I can get about 600-650mls into him. He weights 6.3kg. Is this enough?
    For the first time today I tried some baby rice mixed with formuale. He tasted it and seemed like he had no idea what to do with it. He mostly pushed it out but he might have eaten a bit...
    In a way I'm pleased to have found this thread as at least I know my baby boy isn't the only one to do this. But does anyone know why on earth its happening? Why does a baby not want to ever drink? I'm taking him to a doctor and to a pead this week...I've been told that perhaps he is suffering from reflux??? Silent reflux (as he doesnt' vomit all that much)..
    Has anyone out there had this problem and its resolved itself?

LeahH is offline Registered User

Yes we had exactly the same problem and at around 4 months also. We first found she would feed if distracted - looking at the TV, outside in the pram etc., then ultimately we had to do the same thing as you, rock her til she was sleepy and give her the bottle in bed. We slowly began to try to break the cycle and feed her out of bed in a dark room in chair, rocking her, then put her down when she'd finally finished the bottle. She eventually improved over time. She's 9 months now and still needs a bit of distracting (toys in her hand, looking out the window, watches baby einstein for the night feed before bed). She is pretty good with her solids (didn't start her til 6 months though) and if she doesn't finish her morning bottle, the remainder goes into her breakfast cereal.

I know it's stressful but try to relax a bit about it. As long as your ped is happy with the babies weight I wouldn't worry (or introduce solids unless he tells you to).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast