Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Annerley services -v- Matilda services

putput is offline Registered User

Annerley services -v- Matilda services

This may be a daft question but in laymen's terms, what is the difference between taking antenatal classes at Annerley and Matilda. I read about Hulda at Annerley and how great she is. So, you get to know her as your midwife in the build up to the big day and then she is present at the birth? Is this the case with Matilda mid-wives? Do you get to know your mid-wife in the build up and she's there with you during the labour?

I'm (quite obviously!) a first time mum so I may have the above all wrong or may be getting antenatal classes muddled up with a different service. Could someone explain?

Clowe is offline Registered User
    I could be wrong but my impression is that the prenatal (antenatal) classes are totally separate from the actually birth/delivery. I am planning to take prenatal classes at annerley in Feb (am due in April) and am delivery at Matilda and I believe those are two totally separate experiences. Prenatal classes teach you about the delivery and baby care after delivery... and it's up to you to apply what you've learned to the delivery process when it occurs.

That's my understanding... someone, correct me please if I am wrong because I would love to know too!

Thanks Clowe,

Was there a particular reason you have chosen to take prenatal classes at Annerley rather than Matilda? Is it because of location or for other reasons?

Clowe is offline Registered User
    Hi Putput! Location was one reason (I work really close to Annerley) and also because I know of people who did theirs there and they really had positive things to say. Also, my doctor (Dawkins) recommended it as I guess he had a lot of patients attend at Annerley. I'm sure Matilda's is really good also. But unless you live up at the Peak, I'd say Annerley is a lot easier to get to... and you can grab a bite to eat in Soho afterwards :-)

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I attended pre natal classes at Matilda and went on to deliver there (twice!). The midwives who instructed the classes were not the same ones who worked on the maternity ward in my experience. The only advantage of the Matilda was a hospital tour (which you can do outside the classes anyway).

I would go with whichever is most geographically convenient. They are both excellent.

SS@HK is offline Registered User
    Have been wanting to ask a question related to this topic...
    When is a good time to attend pre natal classes?... Do most people attend these in third tri?

Thanks Clowe and Jane01.

[email protected], I think it's around 28 weeks.

jube is offline Registered User
    I attended classes at Matilda. There are 6 classes in total and the classes are taught by Matilda staff, although in our case it wasn't the midwives from the maternity ward. One class was on breastfeeding, which was held by Sarah Hung, who is the Lactation Consultant at Matilda. One class was also taught by Yvonne Heavyside, who is a Health Visitor and takes alot of the classes/groups at Matilda.

We also had one class on pain relief and it was taught by Dr Richard Ooi, who is the resident anaethesist at Matilda. We also got a tour of the hospital wards and an explanation of what happens in the delivery room during labour.

Although Annerley is more convenient, I did find it useful getting use to going to the Matilda, meeting up with other parents who are about to give birth at the Matilda (we did bump into quite a few when we delivered and even made friends with a few of them) and for me, since it was my first, I felt a bit better familiarizing myself with the delivery room and the maternity ward, even though I had taken a tour of the hospital 6 months before.

The class had about 12 couples in it. As I signed up for my course a little late, I ended up straddling 2 courses to ensure I made it to all the classes before I gave birth and I ended up going to half my classes at the Matilda Clinic in Central and half my classes at the Hospital. So, do call the Matilda and ask about when the classes are in Central if this is more convenient for you.

I think the classes are going to be very similar in nature but it's really what works for you. Either way, make sure you also use the class as a social occasion and take it as an opportunity to meet other soon to be parents. We have become great friends with one couple and see each other regularly.

Either way, I do suggest you sign up for your classes as early as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast