Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Does your helper/cleaner cause you any damage?

madaboutCows is offline Registered User

Does your helper/cleaner cause you any damage?

We only have a part-time cleaner but the list of damage is endless and it's making me reconsider even having the help.

Today she's scratched all of the overhead exhaust in the kitchen after being shown how to clean it a million times before. Used a scourer on the aluminium back splash. Bleached clothes in the washing basket whilst spraying bleach on the walls. Smashed pots and glasses. Huge dints in the wooden floor where the hoover has fallen, burnt iron and clothes .... the list goes on.

Is it worth it? Anyone experiencing the same?

madaboutCows is offline Registered User
    Obviously not all of that *today* but over a period of time. The exhaust was todays mishap!

carang is offline Registered User
    over almost three years, i can count on two hands the damage that my full-time has caused. most of it was not due to negligence, rather accident.

it sounds to me like yours is due to negligence. i'd be finding a different helper NOW. if she is damaging things like the floor/exhaust fan, then YOU will be held accountable when you move out from your flat and your landlord may take damages out of your deposit!

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I've had helpers for 4 years and the previous one did the most damages. She has shrunk a couple of hubby's tee shirts and LO's bibs, nicked a few bowls while washing them, the closet door in her room fell off (don't ask me how this happened!), scratched the bathroom floor with the vacuum etc. She is very careless in her work and has lost a number of things like LO's scissors for cutting food, a few of LO's bowls (I still scratch my head on this as we never take these out of the house, I have another pair of scissors that we take out). Anyway, needless to say, we did not keep her.

My current helpers are so far very good. There is the occasional dent in a bowl but nothing major.

I agree, find another helper. I can't stand carelessness.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    You need a new helper. That sounds willfully negligent.

Mine is not perfect, but neither am I. She's not careless, just human. I expect her to treat our home and possessions with the same respect she would treat her own.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Definatley find a new helper.

In 2 years the only thing that was ever damaged by our part timer was a shirt she was ironing, and she was really upset to have done it.

And I sure most of us have destroyed something with a hot iron at one time or another.
    Last edited by Matty; 12-08-2007 at 01:22 PM.