Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you really believe in the right-brain method?

vivianhui is offline Registered User

Do you really believe in the right-brain method?

I have heard so much about the right brain method and have just started doing flashcard with my 9-month old son.

I guess I do not really have high expectation on this - I do not expect my baby to really learn the words from doing flashcards. I run out of activity ideas so will just try and do flashcard anyways.

But I think deep down inside, I am still skeptical about this. Just curious, do people generally believe in it?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Psychologists have a saying, “flash cards in the crib syndrome”. This is to describe children who seem to have very high IQs as young children but average IQs as teenagers. The IQ test assumes a normal amount of knowledge exposure – if you give a lot more to a young child then they will score highly not because they are actually clever but because the test can’t handle them.

I think the most important thing is that you enjoy your baby. (This could involve flash cards if you enjoy doing flash cards together.) If you enjoy being with your baby then the two of you will have a good relationship and in the end this is much more important that being right or left brained.

capital is offline Banned
    I don't.

recognizing a word is entirely different from actually being able to read.

there is lots of research to support teaching children to much too early, doing workbooks and all this stuff can hinder them later on, initally they do better than there peers, but give it a couple of years and they are actually doing worse.

I remember I used to count the stairs when we went up and down all the time, and my son could count to ten very early, but he was only repeating what I was saying, he didn't underdstand what counting was or understand the concept of #'s. I agree with the other poster, do it if you child enjoys it, otherwise not bother. I don't think you can go wrong if you let your child take the lead, where it is early or later than the peers.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I don't believe in it either. When I had my first baby, I was sucked into it and bought the Glenn Doman set of flashcards and did them with her for a few days when she was 15 months (a bit late to start according to Kinder U) and I got so bored with it and so did she. We stopped and those 3 sets are collecting dust on the shelf. I don't plan to do it with my younger one either.

I agree that they do learn the words but just the visual part of it. My daughter at 2 can count up to 20 but its just pure memorization for her and if you put stuff for her to count, everything is 1,2,3,4,5.

Now my approach is to just let her have fun and learn through play, no pressure cos they get enough when they attend school later on.

cemily is offline Registered User
    Capital,

Would appreciate if you could send me the link/info of the research showing that children who learn a lot early actual got hindered at a later stage.

Tks

Rgds

e

Sure, it is in a book on brain development, I think it is called your child's mind, how the brain and mind develop. I know the title isn't wuite right, but it is something like that. I'm off to work soon, but should be able to look it up tonight or tomorrow. From what I remember, initally children score higher in tests, then around the 3 grade they score lower than their peers

carang is offline Registered User
    i think that it's the same as with most things with your kids. if you and the CHILD enjoy it and you aren't fanatical about it, it's not going cause any harm.

if you are obsessed with it, then it might harm.(you will suffer anxiety if the baby isn't "performing" properly or shows disinterest.)

I found it, the book is called

What's going on in there? How the brain and mind develop in the first five years of life by Lise Eliot.

The book is basically a literature review of everything under the sun related to development. It is very interesting.

There is a section on schooling which basically says that people with higher IQ"S stay in school longer as are more motivated to stick with it, but also the more years of schooling you have the higher your IQ and gives many examples of documented times where IQ's lowered due to lack of schooling (Nazi occupation, school closures in 1960's southern US during ratial integration) and children who have had no schooling (Appalachian children) can fall into the retarded range by adolscence.
    Then goes on to talk about preschool, does it increase intelligence?

Evidence that high quality daycare inproves cognitive and academic performance for children in disadvantaged situation, but less so for the middleclass, although some new research shows some advantage for some kind of formal preschooling.

But....

"There is however one note of caution to sound about early childhood education. This is not a time for heavy academic instuction. ......there is no evidence that children benefit in teh long run from early formal instruction in school subjects. In fact, it may even do some harm. In one study, researchers compared kindergartners who had attended strongly academic and less academically oriented preschools, and they found no difference in their cognitive ability or school performance. They did, however, find that the children from the more academic preschools tended to have greater anxiety about testing and to view school less postively than those from the less academic preschools. In other words, there may be a real danger in pushing academic achievement too early.
    Preschool should be an enticemnet-a way to ease children into a school setting and foster a deep love for learnng.......It is not the time to emphasize achievement."

So I was not quite right in what I said about scores lower when they are older. I must have read that somewhere else, or a different part of this book. I will look and see what else I can find.

They also talk about the difference in math scores between America and Asia, being related to difference in parenting, how americans give less emphasis on learning math, less emphasis on homework, and help with homework less than asian parents(asian parents in asia they mean), and the fine lines between higher expectations and pressure. Very interesting.
    Last edited by rani; 12-12-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: link added

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast