Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breast hurts! Why?

mailmail is offline Registered User

Breast hurts! Why?

Hi ladies,
    I am breastfeeding my 2 months old baby. Everything seems fine until the last couple of days when my left breast started to hurt. The feeling is more like bruising, especially when I touch certain part of it. Milk supply is normal, nipple is fine as well. I wonder if it is an infection...Have you ladies experienced this sort of thing? What did you end up doing?

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    it happened to me..at first I felt the pain when I pressed one area, then I started to notice hard pink-colored patches, then my doc told me I had minor breast infection. I didn't have any fever, just had to take antibiotics. I would suggest you to see your doctor too.

Thanx MeowMeow for sharing your experience. How did one get the infection? I am asking as I wonder what I did wrong, so as to avoid this happening again.

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    I think breast infection is very common. I was told to feed more on the infected side of the breast or pump more so it won't be blocked again. Does your baby have a preference? My baby doesn't like my left side and that was the one got infected.

HTH

Hmmm, my left is actually my baby's "breast of choice". But he does have a cough, maybe he coughed out bacteria and that somehow seeps into my breast....sounds horrible. Yike!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    It sounds like you have a plugged duct rather than a breast infection. A plugged duct is where one of your ducts doesn’t drain as well as it usually does. There are many possible reason for this, for example you could have wore some clothing or a baby sling that pressed into your breast a little too much, the baby started sleeping longer and your breasts became a little too full, or maybe you are just feeling a little run down at the moment as so the milk isn’t flowing as well as it should. If you develop a breast infection then you will get a fever and start to have flu like symptoms on top of the bruised feeling already in your breast.

The treatment, however, is the same for both:
    Nurse frequently, rest and apply heat to the tender area.

Frequent nursings serve to provide comfort, reduce inflammation and encourage opening the blocked area. You may find that varying breastfeeding positions drains all areas of the breast more effectively. For example, if you most commonly use the cradle hold, try the clutch ("football") hold or lying down to breastfeed. (Please note that it is a common myth that it is unhealthy for the baby to breastfeed when the mother has a breast infection. This is definitely not true. The antibacterial properties of human milk protect the baby from infection.)

Rest is an important component in recovery from plugged ducts or breast infections. To do this, try resting in bed with baby cuddled next to you. This will also encourage frequent breastfeeding sessions to drain the breast. Keep supplies such as diapers, toys, books, the telephone, a glass and a pitcher of water nearby to minimize trips out of bed.

Applying wet or dry heat with a heating pad or hot water bottle and gently massaging the sore area of the breast before breastfeeding can assist the breast in further emptying. Many mothers find that taking showers or baths and gently massaging with a warm cloth on the sore breast is a relaxing treatment during a stressful time. Another technique is to lean over a basin of warm water and soak the sore breast for about 10 minutes three times a day. This will also remove any dried milk secretions that may be blocking the flow of milk out of the nipple. Breastfeed immediately, while the breast is warm, to help unplug the blocked duct.

If you do go on to get the flu like symptoms mentioned above then visit the doctor who is likely to prescribe antibiotics. Because if you get a bacterial infection inside the plugged duct, your body often needs help to clear it.

I hope you are feeling better very soon,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 12-10-2007 at 10:03 PM.

I did have a minor fever two nights ago which I recovered completely after popping one tablet of panadol. However, my breast continues to hurt. Could that fever be connected to possible breast infection, or it sounds unrelated?

Good thing is though, that the bruising feeling seems to subside a little bit this morning. Thanx Sarah, will try doing what you suggested. Hope I don't need to see the doctor for antibiotics.

joannek is offline Registered User
    if you do take antibiotics, you probably have to also take probiotic (like yogurt), so that you won't get a yeast infection afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast