Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Parents giving up adopted child

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    and if you read the article...the "father" says..."my poor wife... it's been really hard on her!"

no mention at all of the poor little thing caught up in their little web of self-centredness!
    That's what pissed me off! Bastards....my wife is going for therapy and I'm like big freaking deal!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I do not think we should be so quick to judge others, especially without having all the facts. I have no extra facts to give you but I know from reading the newspaper report that we don’t have enough to come anywhere near understanding the situation.

I find it hard to imagine the circumstances I would need to be in to think that the solution was to give up one of my children. Parents do, however, find themselves in these situations and do give up their children. Likewise I find it hard to imagine a situation I’d need to be in to think the answer was suicide but every day people do kill themselves.

I do not believe that these parents can be unaffected by their actions and that they have really left the child behind in Hong Kong without a second thought. Without knowing the full details and the metal state of everyone involved it is hard to know whether the decision these parents made was the only solution or not.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    The poor little girl, already abandoned for a year! Those parents should be exposed - surely it is a crime to abandon a child, whether adopted or not? I feel so so sorry for the girl. And if indeed the wife has 'post-natal depression' did abandoning her adopted girl make her feel better? THis case really needs to be brought in to the open. Some journalist should 'leak' their names. The excuses this couple have given for their child 'not fitting in' is terrible. Just ask any parent with a teenager and they will tell you they are having a tough time. I'm shocked that an adopted child can just be 'given up'. So shocked. How traumatic for the little girl. I cant imagine what her world is like. What a selfish couple.

Surely someone must know a diplomat Dutch couple who 'used' to have an adopted Korean daughter (who they didn't teach Dutch to!) and now she's not with the family anymore and they have children of their own? Anyone here have 'Dutch' connections?

My sentiments exactly, Somebodyfamous. How can you adopt a child and not teach her your language? This is really baffling. I agree with barbwong about not judging. But under what circumstances do you give up your adopted child or any of your children? Maybe if someone knows of their circumstance, tell us, so to stop us from judging them. But at this point of time, they look really bad!

patts is offline Registered User
    I have always thought that there is a law to protect adopted children from cases like this. Well, apparently not, I suppose after reading about this Korean child.

I fail to comprehend how a mother after 7 years with her adopted child still fail to incorporate their culture or bond with the child. And abandoning her due to the child not eating their food is just total rubbish. yes, the mother should seek help.

The girl will be emotionally scarred for a long time but hopefully she will get through all this and learn to trust again.

shri is offline Administrator
    >> I have always thought that there is a law to protect adopted children from cases like this.

Even if there was such a law the family is probably protected by diplomatic immunity.

Besides, not much that can be done once they have left Hong Kong. The govt is not going to chase them across the globe.

I'm surprised that the consulate has made no attempt to help find a suitable home for the kid.
    Last edited by shri; 12-12-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri View Post
    >> I have always thought that there is a law to protect adopted children from cases like this.

Probably protected by diplomatic immunity. If this is indeed a diplomat's family.

I'm surprised that the consulate has made no attempt to help find a suitable home for the kid.
    That's what i thought diplomatic immunity...These people are just horrid!

carang is offline Registered User
    you know... my almost 3 year old and i argue about his not eating all the time. that doesn't mean i'm going to dump him for "not fitting in with the family".

i hope that these people think back on this and regret it for the rest of their lives!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast