Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Parents giving up adopted child

shri is offline Administrator
    Some more coverage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811

Conincidence or not ... I'm having drinks with a well connected Dutch guy tonight who says "every one knows everyone in this community".

Leeah's mom is offline Registered User

the thing I hate the most is..

The Dutch family might have problems that we don't know,
    but the most important thing of all is that They just abandonded her in HK . They didn't even take her back to S. KOrea for legal help or anything like that. They just left her at the hongkong goverment office saying they no longer want to raise that girl and please find a family for her. Do you guys think this is a normal action???
    Hongkong goverment doesn't have to do this kind of thing for them. They should take care of it by themselves since they are the one who started this.

They're not dumb or poor, they are even well educated, the dutch diplomat!!!!! That is the most disgusting part.
    At least they would have ideas of what to do and not to do.

I also heard from my korean friend ( she read it in the newspaper . I think in korea it's a big news.) that some koreans insisted that the Dutch government should do something about that parents and the dutch goverment said it's a personal thing, so don't take it on to The dutch government.

I mean it's just unbelievable.

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by shri View Post
    Some more coverage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811

Conincidence or not ... I'm having drinks with a well connected Dutch guy tonight who says "every one knows everyone in this community".
    Well, if it's possible, ask and find out and give us the truth. I really hope that this couple has a very valid reason. Not just not wanting to eat as a reason to give up the child. My dog is a fussy eater and very often we have to find different kinds of food to feed her and you don't see me bringing her to the pound to return her. How can this couple treat their child worse than a dog? I really want to know.

What they've done is abandon. As I said on GeoExpat, the father should have taken responsibility - he's trained as a diplomat so taking ownership of a problem should be fundamental to how he thinks (unless he's the type of guy who sits at a counter and stamps passports - which I doubt).

Given the access they'd have had to people and groups, they should have tried their best to find a suitable family for the kid.

Not wanting the kid is inexcusable, but abandoning her is unforgivable.

spockey is offline Registered User
    I know there are not many Dutch products on the shelves but I'm planning to boycott any that I come across. I find it appalling. How can he get away with it. How could his embassy NOT do anything about it even if he's a diplomat.

Yes, we don't know what it's like. But someone with post-natal depression doesn't get to give up their own kid. If they abandoned their child, they'd be in trouble with the law.

What they've done is just downright immoral. The kid's been around since 4 months!!! Cultural assimilation is not an excuse! At 4 months, what would a baby know???

More like 6-7 years...

A Dutch couple has sparked outrage by giving up a seven-year-old South Korean girl they adopted as a baby – after claiming she didn't "fit in" with their life-style.

The diplomat and his wife, who had taken in the child after failing to conceive, handed her to social workers in Hong Kong after having two biological children.

They claimed the girl, who was adopted when four months old and has lived in the territory since she was three, was struggling to adapt to their culture, including food.

lenahk is offline Registered User
    I guess none of us know their side of the story... but let me assure you that this case has sparked outrage in the Netherlands as well. In fact, while the SCMP did not mention the diplomat's name to protect the privacy of everyone involved, some Dutch papers mention names, show photos and even part of their address...

The couple is still in HK and are still the legal parents of the girl, who has been in foster care since May (when they gave her up) until HK welfare has found a new family for her.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Found this on the International Harold Tribune:

The official at the South Korean consulate, however, said the family had two other children, a 14-year-old-boy, and a second son, born after the girl was adopted.

Full article can be found here.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...l-Returned.php

Even an expert at the HKU's Social Welfare Faculty cannot believe how incredibly ridiculous their excuse is for giving up the child.
    Last edited by spockey; 12-12-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast