Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Parents giving up adopted child

sunniefaith is offline Registered User

Angry Parents giving up adopted child

I read the papers on Sun and am just filled with shock and horror at what some parents can do to an adopted child. Maybe I don't know the truth or their side of the story, but still, I'm just gobsmacked by some people. Maybe I'm feeling this way because we are intending to adopt a child. But whatever it is, adopting a child is more than adopting a dog from the pound. There is just no return policy, especially after a couple of years.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...316715/1/.html

Their story has even made it to Spore.

spockey is offline Registered User
    This story originally appeared in the SCMP. It's a European diplomat stationed in HK who gave up the Korean child adopted during his station in Hong Kong.

Whatever the background of the story or reason, a child is NOT a pet and even a pet should NOT be abandoned.

LittlePumpkins is offline Registered User
    This is absolutely terrible.

Yes! It is terrible! Hope their conscience will eat into them forever!

Ali71 is offline Banned
    I find it astounding too, I just hope that all the other options have been explored - my feeling is that the mother is probably suffering from depression, or extreme stress or exhaustion - akin to mothers of babies who lose their bond. I hope that the parents have been fully assessed by medics and that they have all tried counselling too. What I don't understand is how the mother can give her child up after 7 years - to me the need for a genetic bond is irrelevant after 7 years of nurture. What about the future other children let alone the adopted one? Sounds like it's the mother who needs help.
    Sadly I believe this case will not help matters for other Western parents seeking to adopt an asian child.
    I hope that in a few years we hear of a relatively good ending to this story.

I was thinking that it might be post natal depression as well. But what amuses me is this. After years of being with Dutch parents, the child can only speak English and Cantonese. Why can't the child speak Dutch? Isn't it sad that the girl was adopted when the mother that she was sterile and can't have a kid. So now, after having 2 kids of her own, does she then realise that she doesn't want the adopted child now?

I sincerely hope that my speculations are all wrong. Does anyone know the true story behind?

And Ali71, yes, this will definitely have an impact on Western parents who are genuinely seeking to adopt a child. How sad...

Leeah's mom is offline Registered User

it's terrible

I also read about the news.
    I think it's terrible..

The poor girl only can speak Cantonese & English so she can't go back to S. Korea , so seeking a family in HK who can take her.
    a Few couples tried to take her (American/Korean couple and Chinese/Korean couple in HK) but they couldn't because of the adoption procedure is difficult. I think they got rejected by some conditions.

The thing I don't understand about that dutch diplomat family is why did they leave her in Hong Kong.
    I mean they adopted her in KOrean while they are working in Korea, then moved to Hongkong. THen they just leave her to HK government and flew back to their home.
    They just abandoned her in HK. The terrible thing is they didn't even apply for the dutch citizenship for her So that girl doesn't have a citizen of Dutch nor korean.
    That's the most strange part. I heard she also hasn't got the right to stay in Hongkong.

I just can't understand after raising for 7 years and just abandon the child. I heard they are saying that the girl is not eating their food. that's the reason . I mean they live together for 7 years and she would have adopted to the food and different culture. She was adopted when she was 4 months.

let's just hope she gets a good new family. She is already 7 years old, so she will know that she's abandoned. that's the saddest part.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeah's mom View Post
    The thing I don't understand about that dutch diplomat family is why did they leave her in Hong Kong.
    I mean they adopted her in KOrean while they are working in Korea, then moved to Hongkong. THen they just leave her to HK government and flew back to their home.
    They just abandoned her in HK. The terrible thing is they didn't even apply for the dutch citizenship for her So that girl doesn't have a citizen of Dutch nor korean.
    That's the most strange part. I heard she also hasn't got the right to stay in Hongkong.
    You mean they've already left? This is even more shocking!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast