Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby rejecting formula (vomiting!)

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Baby rejecting formula (vomiting!)

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who had experienced this and can give some advice.

My baby (almost 8 months) has been exclusively b'fed except for the couple of bottles of S26 formula that she was given during her hospital stay for treatment of jaundice.

I wanted to introduce formula and gave her S26 thinking that it shd be okay since she had it before and was okay. She chugged it down and promptly threw up. We gave her expressed breastmilk after a while and she threw that up as well... and everything else she ate thereafter. This went on throughout the day! Took her to the doctor and he said it was viral gastritis (nothing to do with formula) and gave her a shot to stop the vomiting. She was okay afterwards.

Days later, we tried giving her formula again. Same thing. This time, I was very sure it was the formula. Went to a different doctor and was just given suppositories to stop the vomiting. She gave us NAN HA to try, but my baby absolutely refused to take it. I tried mixing it with her favorite food, tried thinning it down... nothing worked.

Today, the doctor gave us SNOW to try. She took 2 sips and then refused it. Had her dinner shortly afterwards; then threw EVERYTHING up. B'fed her before bedtime tonight and even that came out, too. Poor thing. It's so hard to see her suffer like that. I'm really afraid to give her formula now --any brand!

I will definitely continue b'feeding, but do I have to wait until she's 1 before trying to introduce ANY dairy product (cow's milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.)? She's taking other forms of solids quite well, btw.

Apologies for the long post.. and thanks!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Hey Bucks!
    Well, my little man also hates formula. I tried to introduce a little about 6 weeks ago when I went back to full time work. Tried a few different brands, but basically my helper waits until he's REALLY hungry and he'll drink 3-5oz. That's all he'll have between 7am and 7pm. As a result, I'm feeding him all night!! Not ideal, but I'll go with it 'cos I really don't have time or the facilites to pump at work.
    Sounds as though Zoe also doesn't like milk if it's not from mummy. Does she take EBM in a bottle?
    Could she be allergic; could it be the cow's milk making her sick? You could try a soy/goat's milk formula.
    Sorry, maybe not much help, but thought I'd share.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Yes, she does take EBM from a bottle when I'm not here. She could be allergic... or lactose intolerant. Very hesitant to try anything else at the moment, but I probably shd give soy or goat's milk a go later down the line. Thanks.

sarahesther is offline Registered User
    My son also vomited (all day, just like you baby) after giving him two different formulas, it was awfull. The third one we tried worked, he is happy with it everysince. I think you just have to try until you find the right one.
    You can try to introduce cow milk products at around 11 month, they don't advice you to do it earlier.
    Hope everything will work out well.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Often with allergies the first time we have the problem food it doesn’t cause a problem but it sensitizes us to the allergen. This means that when that food is introduced later it causes a problem. It sounds like this is what has happened.

It is often said that even one bottle of formula can cause a problem. Exclusive breastfeeding (nothing other than breast milk) isn’t recommended for nothing.

I would be very careful about introducing all dairy products - you may find that fresh milk is a problem too.