Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

private room usually available?

met_74 is offline Registered User

private room usually available?

This sounds very spoilt but I really would like to have a private room after delivery. I am a very difficult sleeper always have been but now in pregnancy even worse.

After the birth of my first child which took 30 hours, I had not slept in two days. I then ended up on a ward (NHS) where I again could not sleep because of noise, baby s crying etc.
    After 3 nights of absolutely no sleep I could cry. And then of course the nights started of breastfeeding on demand (which was a lot!) and not being able to sleep in between.

Ok long story, my point is, I really want a private room and hope I can get some rest the first 3 nights before I head home and the broken nights start.

Today in the Adventist they told me during the tour that there is a big chance that they won't be able to give me a private room. The ward is so busy and apparently most moms want a private one.

Does anyone know if I would come across the same problem in the Matilda? Has anyone experienced not being able to get a private room because of fully occupancy?

Thanks a lot!

mailmail is offline Registered User
    I booked a private room, but upon arrival at Matilda, the nurses told me that all private rooms were full, and had to settle with a semi private until one became available. I was "monitored" in the semi-private until I was wheeled into the delivery room, by the time I came out, I was given a private room. I noticed that on the day I got admitted to the hospital, the place was pretty busy, but on the second day, somehow, most moms got discharged and the place became quite empty. On the third, the place became packed again.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    i was just discharged from a private room at Adventist a week ago. we had to wait for 1-2 hrs before the operation for the mom in one of the private rooms to check out. but i got the room after the scheduled c-section operation.

so i guess we got lucky, it's really up to chances during these period. they told us there were plenty of semi-private spaces when we arrive tho.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mailmail View Post
    I noticed that on the day I got admitted to the hospital, the place was pretty busy, but on the second day, somehow, most moms got discharged and the place became quite empty. On the third, the place became packed again.
    This is typical of a maternity ward. The sister and senior nurses seem always to be juggling the duty roster in order to make sure there are the right number of staff. There is a long on call list so if suddenly more mothers arrive in labour there are always midwives available to help.