Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Ultrasounds at each Prenatal Check up

Tomi is offline Registered User

Ultrasounds at each Prenatal Check up

Hi,

I have been told that in Hong Kong, each time you go for a prenatal check up, an ultrasound is done. This is different from the Australian practise where 2 main ultrasounds are done in Week 12 and 20. A third ultrasound before birth maybe performed if necessary.

Could I please find out if an ultrasound at each prenatal check is normal in HK? Would it be a problem if I request to lessen the number of ultrasounds done?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

carang is offline Registered User
    it is NOT normal if you go public. i've heard though that many private drs do it every time...

tikkunolam is offline Registered User
    You can request not to have an ultrasound every time you go to a private doctor. I have told my doctor I do not want an ultrasound every time I go. I have had the 12 week scan and the 20 week scan already and will not have any more big scans. Close to my due date my doctor will do one or two more to quick ultrasounds to check the baby's position and umbilical cord. I am seeing a private doctor and alternate my visits between him and my midwife.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi- I would say if you see a private Dr in HK you will have an ultrasound at each visit....of course it's your choice if you choose not to have them, and any Dr should respect that.

I liked having an ultrasound at each visit- and looked forward to the visits because I knew would get an ultrasound....they also stopped me worrying, because was able to see quite regularly that everything was ok.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I told my doctor that I wasn’t keen to have any ultra scans and I only had one in my last pregnancy. A private doctor will follow your wishes unless he thinks that you or your baby is in danger. And if he is doing it for a medical reason he should have explained the situation fully to you so that you are comfortable with having the scan.

Tomi is offline Registered User
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences!

I will discuss this with my Dr to decrease the number of utlrasounds going forward. I've had a smooth pregnancy so far so i hope it won't be an issue.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all. We are looking forward to meeting our new bubby in the new year:)

papahk is offline Registered User

every other exam

my wife has had 5 scans so far since week 13...now in week 32...and 5 other tests in between...about 1 scan each month and one other test each month..Pamela Youde Hospital...I just assumed this was normal..(our first baby)