Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Refused solid food for 2 weeks

AnitaC is offline Banned

Refused solid food for 2 weeks

Hi mamas,

My 10 month old has been refusing solid food (and milk initially as well) for 2 weeks. We tried feeding him with all sorts of food, including purees, finger food, food that we eat, and we tried encouraging him to feed himself. Nothing works.

Whenever we bring a spoon to him, he would shut his mouth so tight. He would still bite bits of banana or biscuits but that is it.

When getting him to feed himself, he just plays with his food and not putting any food in his mouth.

I just cannot understand why he isn't hungry. He was very bad in the first few days that he would only take 2 once of milk in the morning and 2 more in the evening. At least now, he is taking 4 once each time and he's fed three times a day.

Any experience to share mamas?

Worrying Mama

Neha is offline Banned
    Teething can be one of the reasons.

rach is offline Registered User
    i had the same thing (off solids for over a month) initally the doc said foot and mouth (not the disease that affects farm animals) but can mean tiny ulcers in the mouth. not sure what it was but would only eat tiny amts (banana homemade rice pudding)or nothing at all but i just had to stop worrying (especially as he was drinking milk) evenutally they eat when hungry. a lot going on at 10 months (teething, learning so many new things and trying to be independent so you might want to try finger food so the baby can feed himself) they cna just lose interest for a while but try not to worry he will eat soon just a phase or maybe just not feeling well and it will pass

AnitaC is offline Banned
    Thanks mamas. At least he is drinking milk, as you said I should not worry. But it is just worrying to us as mamas, isn't it? Now I let him feed himself, he would have a little bit of food at a time. Fussy young man!

nubymom is offline Registered User
    I kinda had the same experience when mine was 3-4 months old (he's almost 8 months now). It ended up he had a urinary tract infection, thank god he's all good now. I understand how worry you currently are! His paediatrician said refusing to be fed is a symptom of UTI. Check with your doctor. Good Luck =)