Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

discovery bay to quarry bay commute

onesarah is offline Registered User

discovery bay to quarry bay commute

we have our heart set on living in DB, but hubby's office is relocating to quarry bay. is the commute do-able?

carang is offline Registered User
    anything is do-able...just depends on how long he's willing to put up with...
    it would take about an hour from getting on the ferry until getting off the MTR. then there would be time on either side. I have a few friends that did it for years.

25minutes on the ferry
    10 minute walk to MTR
    20 minutes on MTR

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Are you an expat re-locating? Quarry Bay isn't that close to any traditional expat areas, perhaps Happy Valley and Mid Levels would be the most convenient. Presumably your husband works for JPMorgan? They were in the newspaper today re relocating to QB.

Consider:
    * commute per above - you are looking at over an hour, perhaps an hour and a half if you miss connections. You could always get a taxi from the ferry direct to QB to save time sometimes, it may be a little quicker, particular at non-peak times.
    * does your husband travel a lot for work - how much time is he actually going to be in HK. Lots of bankers spend most of their time travelling and it is fairly irrelevant where the office is.

I live in DB and highly recommend it. However, I only have to commute to Central. I know plenty of DBers who commute further than QB, one of my friend's husbands travels to Mongkok, but he is always travelling so the office location is largely irrelevant.

jools is offline Registered User
    My husband commutes from DB to North Point every day. For him it's very do-able. It takes about an hour.

We're from the UK and his commute there was also supposed to take an hour. All you Brits out there will understand, his commute was never an hour, at home, it could be anything up to three hours, or the trains went on strike, not at all. Here his commute is an hour every day. This is a big bonus for him.

He also enjoys the ferry trip as it gives him chance to unwind before he gets home after a tough day at the office. The only down side is if he has an office dinner and it goes on late, then he gets home very late, but it's a small price to pay for living in DB; we love it.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    We lived in DB BC (before children) and liked not having a whole lot of other "expats" around (don't know why I put it in "") when we moved back to HK this time around (with kids) we stayed in a serviced apt in Tai Koo (sp?) and I travelled from there to DB to look at apts. It takes at least 1 hour which is a long travel, esp if your DH works long hours on top of that.

That said DH works in TST and we live in DB - he has a one hour commute!

Jane, Cara -- waves!

onesarah is offline Registered User
    thanks ladies. hubby does work for JP morgan, but looks like his team in staying in central. phew! we looked at DB in nov and loved it and are now looking at an end of feb move! london to Hk here we come!